Chapter 7:

The door to Clarksons office was still as intimidating as it once was in the selection. It was made of skinny dark wood with a large glass window in the center. It had a mail slot, a very efficient way to not talk to people if you ask me, and blinds to keep away prying Eyes. I used to avoid this door at all costs. Now I'm running through the halls as a rebel towards this specific door. How the tides have changed...

My hand gripped Clarksons golden door handle. I put myself in Maxons position when he wound have to open this door. Always worrying if he was going to be yelled at or....punished. Never considering he might just be congratulated or praised. Because he never was.

But when I turned that handle. I least expected the see Maxon in there. Casually leaning back in his dads desk chair. Feet poised on the desk. Hands resting behind his head. Waiting for someone. Waiting for me.

"How'd you get here before me?" Was the first thing I said.

"We have passage ways all over the palace," was his reply.

For the first time ever I wasn't looking at him as the love of my life. I was practically sizing him up. I was glaring at him for getting here first or for being here at all. Doesn't he realize there is a rebel attack going on and he should probably....well I don't know....run!!!! And hide!!! Seek cover!!!! Be somewhere I'm not!!!

"I like the hair," he commented casually.

I gaped at him like a fish. He was trying to go for casual small talk. Instead of wondering what I was doing in his dads office during a rebel attack.

Two could play at that game.

"Thanks," I said rolling a red curl between my finger tips. "It's nice. I think there is some orange highlights in there too. The bangs add a certain look to my facial structure..."

"I meant the frosting," he laughed.

"Oh that. Well I was downstairs in the kitchen with your soon-to-be wife when cupcakes started flying-—"

"Stop America!" He interrupted. "why are you in my fathers office during this dangerous moment in time?"

"Exploring?" I squeaked nervously.

He slammed his hands down on the desk. "Unbelievable. Are you a rebel? Are you trying to kill my family?"

"Yes. No! Ugh. Let me explain. Please?" I begged.

"60 seconds," he allowed.

"You always told me there were two types of rebels. The northern and the southern."

He nodded so I continued.

"You told me the southern were evil and vile. Just trying to kill and end the monarchy. And that's true. You said the northern never did anything more than break and steal. And that's also true. I am a rebel."

Maxon sucked in an uneven breath.

"A northern rebel."

He stood up and glared at me. "So that's it?" He asked angrily. "This whole time you've just been here as some undercover rebel. You were only here to unlock doors and open hatches so they could get in."

My mind flashed to Kriss unlocking the door for us to get in.

"Did you ever love me? Has it really all been an act?" He wondered sadly.

"No," I said with conviction. "I became a rebel after I left the selection. None of it was an act. I do-did love you. And i didn't betray you as I mentioned during our last little conversation. It's good to know you have very little faith in me."

"What do the rebels want?"

"We want for the castes to come to an end. And the reason I'm in your fathers office is because we're trying to stop the southern rebels. They want to destroy the monarchy by stealing Gregory illeas diaries. We're trying to get them first so that the others rebels don't ruin the world."

Maxon pinched the bridge of his nose out of stress. He strolled over to his fathers desk and opened a droid. He was rummaging through it before pulling out an official looking file. He slammed it onto the desk in front of me. It was opened to a page with maxons familiar script on it.

I started reading the document, processing what it said. By the end of the first paragraph I was sure I was mistaken.

I looked at him. "Are you really....going to dissolve the castes?"

He shook his head sadly. "No. I was going to, but my father found the papers. He stole them and told me it's never happening. But when he...passed" Maxon choked up at the mention of the southern rebel attack that occurred a little bit after I joined the northern rebels."I could never bring myself to do it."

I looked up at him with wide eyes. "So you're never going to dissolve the castes."

"No. I think I just need motivation...and time."

He gave me a pointed look at the word time. Bringing up forgotten memories of me Asking him for it while it was just the elite.

"What do I do now?" Maxon sighed.

"Let me leave?" I tried.

He cracked a small smile. "But you're a rebel. How am I just supposed to let you go and mess up my palace?"

"Your could give me the diaries and than I wouldn't have to mess up anything," I suggested.

Maxon laughed his familiar laugh that brought warmth to my heart. "Nice try."

Suddenly there was a whoosh behind me and than Marianna was standing next to me. "Hey. I've been looking for you everywhere!"

She seemed to register the other presence in the room and turned to look at him. "Hey," she greeted Maxon before turning to look back at me. "It's time to go. We've already been here too long."

I nodded.

I bowed deeply and sarcastically to Maxon. "I'm sorry you're majesty, but I must go. With or without your permission."

And than I sprinted out of the room with Marianna close behind me. She stopped once we turned the corner and gave me her signature look. Eyes narrowed and her preppy red lips set in an angry straight line.

"Why were you with Maxon during a rebel attack?!" She interrogated.

"He found me. I was looking for the diaries and I think I know were they are. But he was waiting there for me," I explained.

She sighed and her face lost its angry look. "Don't worry. I won't tell. Just...be careful."

"I'm not doing anything dangerous-."

"No," she interrupted. "Not during the attacks. With him."

And with that she sprinted down the hallway.