Chapter 19;

Kriss's pov

I walked out of the hospital wing with purpose. My heels clicked against tile, than marble, than wood, than more marble, as I walked through the halls of the palace. Maxon followed as I expected, giving me a confused look. I had agreed but now I was going in the opposite direction. In his mind he could just walk into the base, grab America, dip her and kiss her deeply than walk out without the slightest issue. But many rebels didn't like the prince. Especially the ones who only know the zombie prince. And the ones who have seen America crying as she worked herself to the bone in the gym....hate him even more. Especially her friends.

But he didn't comment as I approached the hall that leads to my room. I took a minor detour to talk to a passing maid. Lucy, luckily.

"Go get some casual clothes from Aspen," I muttered under my breath as I passed.

She nodded and scurried off.

I continued on to my room, pushing the door open, with more force than necessary.

"Um....Kriss? America could be gone already. We need to go," Maxon finally spoke.

"You don't think I know that?" I replied, walking into the closet and shutting the door. I stripped myself of my fancy dress, leaving me in a tank top and tights. Still fully clothed.

"I'm confused?" Maxon's voice drifted into the closet.

I exited the closet and crossed to my bathroom. "It's not going to be easy sneaking you into the base. There is a reason you've never discovered it."

I threw open the bathroom cabinet underneath the sink and grabbed the clothes I kept there for when I went to the base.

"How am I going to get in," he called.

I pulled the loose black crop top over my tank top. "Getting us in is easy."

"What?"

I pulled the shorts on over my tights and my leather jacket followed, before I exited. I pulled open the door before Lucy could knock. She gave me a startled look before handing me the clothes she received from Aspen. I threw them at Maxon.

"Getting in is easy. We need you to blend in," I smirked, pointing to the bathroom. "Put those on."

While he went to change I pulled on a pair of combat boots and laced them up. I had time to quickly pull my hair into a tight high ponytail before Maxon exited. He had on a black t-shirt, a black jacket, and some grey sweat pants.

"You look really.....different," he stuttered.

"Its How Rebel's dress."

~oOo~

Maxon looked surprised when he saw the huge metal building just sitting there in his own kingdoms woods.

"How did this get here?" He asked.

"It's been here forever. We just discovered it," I replied, staring up at the beautiful structure. I snapped out of it. "Let's go."

I circled around the doorless buildings. Scanning through the bushes for one marked with one line of dark green spray paint. Only s few shades away from the color of the bushes. You would miss it if you weren't searching for it with a careful eye. I spotted it and pushed the  leaves aside. And there was the ladder.

I looked up at Maxon, motioning for him to follow, before sliding down the ladder. Maxon followed closely, still looking at the room in awe.

"Keep your head down. Don't associate with anyone. Let me do the talking," I whispered to him.

"I thought these were the good rebels?"

"They are. But these people love America. And you hurt her," I replied, before taking off into a walk at a swift pace.

"Hey Kriss!" Someone called.

I sent him a smile before continuing on. Maxon was right on my heels. I could tell he was struggling not to look at the architecture of this place.

"What's up Krissy!" Misty, a friend of mine, greeted. "Who's you're friend?"

"No one," I mumbled, grabbing Maxon's wrist and pulling him along. We finally exited the lower, and most busy, level of the base and approached some stairs. We ascended them, continuing down a practically empty hallway.

"Hey Kriss!" A female called. Shoot. It's Marianna.

"I thought you'd be busy?!" Someone else  accused, popping out from behind her.

"You should be taking care of Maxon," Another said.

Celeste and Marlee. Double shoot.

I looked up guilty, biting my lip. That's when Marianna noticed who's wrist I held firmly in my grip.

"I see you are taking care of him," Marianna glared.

"What is he doing here," Celeste spat.

"Ames isn't gonna like this," Marlee whispered, looking down.

"What are you guys doing here?" Maxon wondered, looking at Marlee and Celeste with calculated eyes.

"What are you doing here," Mariana hissed at Maxon, stepping in front of them.

"I need to squeak to America," Maxon said.

"No," Marlee denied.

"I love that girl with all my heart. I need to see her and make it right!"

"But—."

"Let him by," Marianna allowed, giving Maxon a square look.

"She's not—."

"Let. Him. Pass," Marianna annunciated every word. Marlee nodded and stepped to the side. Celeste and Marianna followed.

The halls of the base never stay empty for long and we've had many passing bystanders during the argument. So it didn't surprise me that news of Maxon's arrival had made it to command. So it also didn't surprise me when The Leader of the rebel's graced us with her presence.

"Miss Ambers what is the meaning of this?!" Thelma yelled as soon as she saw Maxon's head pop out from behind me.

"I don't want to hear it!" I yelled

"Kriss—"

"No!" I interrupted. "I don't care what you say! You need the Prince. We would have never found those books without America. And America needs Maxon. They need each other. And whether the northern rebel operation is over or not, we still need her too. Because this country needs America or it will surely fail. No offense."

The last sentence was directed at Maxon. I wasn't trying to say he was a bad ruler.

"None taken."

"So I say this with all due respect, Miss Thelma," I said slowly and deadly. "Get out of my way."

She scrambled to the side. "But—Miss Ambers!"

"What?!" I barked, my patience with my leader wavering.

"America isn't here."