Chapter 9:

Kriss's Pov

I sighed as I sat my phone down on the table. This is so much more work than I expected. It would be so easy if I could Just tell Maxon and than I'd stop having to babysit him. I'm kind of tired of it. He is worth it but I can't help but feel like I'm just keeping Americas seat warm.

Maxon walked into the room not long after. I turned to face him and brushed a stray piece of hair to the side. "What should we do today?"

"I was going to do a little work," Maxon told me.

"No!" I exclaimed. "I think we should do something together"

"Um...I don't know than,"he mumbled.

"Why don't we go for a swim in the lake?" I suggested.

"It's supposed to get cold later," He reminded me.

"Oh yes," I looked down and pursed my lips. "Any ideas?"

He grabbed my hands and squeezed them lightly. "Yes. I do. I am going to go work in my study, but you are going to go hang out with an old friend."

I quirked in eyebrow.

He released my hand and walked over to the door, pulling it open. On the other side was a head of bouncing golden curls, with a smile that reached down to her toes, that was rocking on the balls of her feet.

"Krissy!" She exclaimed stepping out to hug me.

"Marlee!" I said with a lot less enthusiasm, parting her back in an awkward hug. This could cause problems.

"I've missed you," Marlee told me.

"I don't understand," I said, stepped out of the hug. "I thought you were sent away to be an eight."

"I was.....supposed to be. Maxon spared me and got me a job as a maid," Marlee exclaimed.

"I'll leave you two to catch up," Maxon said leaving the room.

Shoot. Americas going to kill me.

~oOo~

"So how long have you been here?" I asked my eyes darting to the doors where Maxon had previously exited.

"About 6 months now," she answered tilting my chin up and applying a thin layer of blush on my face.

"Did any one besides Maxon know?" I asked curiously.

Her brush froze against my face and she hesitated.

"America," I stated.

She looked down guiltily. "Yeah," she admitted

"Don't feel bad," I said. "It was always meant to be America."

"No, no, no..." she tried to assure me but couldn't find anything to contradict it. I didn't care. I'd excepted this at least a million years ago.

"It's fine whatever," I said grabbing a preppy red lipstick off the table that reminded me of Marianna.

"Sweetheart, who do you keep looking for? That door is closed," Marlee says as if I hadn't noticed.

I stood up suddenly and grabbed Marlee's hand. "You wanna do something fun?!"

She set the shimmering pink lipstick back on the dresser. "Heck yeah!"

"Lets go!" I said, grabbing her hand and pulling her out the door.

~oOo~

"Why are we in the kitchen?" Marlee asked as we entered the room.