Chapter 21:

"It's been so long," I breathed, staring the palace in a frightened, longing way.

"You were here like....a week ago..." Maxon disagreed.

I closed my eyes, blocking out the palace and turned to face him. "Wow. Way to ruin a moment."

He smiled cheekily.

"What I mean is....It's been so long since I was allowed in the palace," I explained.

"Not really. Kriss invited you over like—."

"Maxon!" I cut off sharply. "You know what I mean."

He laughed and grabbed my hand. "Yes. I do."

"You can say that again," I giggled. "In a church...when I'm wearing white..."

"Hey. You're getting ahead of yourself! There's a lot that has to happen before Than. Like dealing with Kriss...and me actually proposing..."

"You did propose!" I protested. "In my room. You just proposed to a different girl the next day!"

"I think those two contradict each other," Maxon chuckled, pulling me towards the castle.

I dug my heels into the ground. It was nothing against Maxon's strength but it was enough to make him pause.

"What?"

I pursed my lips. "What are we going to say to her? How am I supposed to face her when I just...stole you from her."

"America, we went over this. She understands, she approves, she wants us to be together. What kind of girl wants to be with another man who is hopelessly devoted and in love with another women!" He yelled.

"I don't know..." I trailed off.

"Than I'll show you," He said and pulled me into the castle.

Kriss was standing in the entrance hall facing the opposite direction and chatting with what appeared to be Celeste and Marianna. She was bouncing on the halls of her feet and she squealed when she heard the doors opened.

"Ames! You're home!" Kriss squeaked, launching herself at me and throwing me into a whirlwind of hugs and squeals from my friends. "You've been Gone for ages!"

"It's hardly been a weak," I laughed.

"Too long. Too long," she said.

"It's been so quiet at the base," Marianna pitched in.

"Elise, Marlee, and everyone else left shortly after you did. With the books found there's been very little for us to do. Many rebels returned to there families," Celeste informed me.

"You guys are staying?" I asked.

"Yeah. They couldn't survive without me," Marianna said.

"I've got nothing better to do," Celeste agreed.

"I'm undecided," Kriss replied.

"Good," I said. She started at me questionably But was interrupted by Maxon clearing his throat.

"Oh!" I yelled, turning around. "My bad. You know Celeste, but this is Marianna."