Confusion doesn't even explain things

After my date with Kai and our kiss the night before that, I couldn't wait to see him. When I came into school, I went to my locker and saw Kai at his school locker. He was getting his books out, and I strolled over, acting casual.

"Hey, Kai," I greeted Kai.

"Oh, hey, Faith," Kai said, not looking at me.

"I wanted to say that I had a great time last night," I said with a soft smile.

"Uh, yeah, me, too," Kai mumbled, looking at something and not paying attention to me.

"I was wondering when you wanted to go again?" I asked, hoping Kai would say tonight.

"Not sure," Kai answered.

"Oh," I said.

"Hey, look, I got to go. I'll see you around soon," Kai said, closing his locker and walking away.

"Yeah, sure," I sighed.

Okay, well, that didn't go as planned. Perhaps something preoccupied, Kai. The whole day I made an effort to talk to Kai with him blowing me off. Finally, I got to the point with Kai.

"Kai, can I talk to you?" I asked, walking up to Kai

"About what?" Kai asked.

"Well, I thought we had a connection, but all day you seem like you would rather be anywhere than with me. What gives?" I asked.

"Look, I like you, but don't you think that you're acting a little clingy?" Kai asked me.

I stood there, not knowing what to say, "Okay."

"Please tell me you will not get butt hurt and throw a tantrum now?" Kai questioned, making me confused.

Kai's tone was cold and callous, nothing like last night.

"No," I whispered. "I get it. Don't worry; I'll leave you alone." I turned with a look of defeat on my face and walked away since people watched me crash and burn.

"Faith!" Kai yelled.

I put up my hands in defeat. That comment utterly embarrassed and mortified me. That was why I didn't get close to people. My friends watched me walk away, and I held the tears. I wouldn't let anyone see me break, especially over a guy. I walked home, feeling like absolute shit. I finally put myself out there, and it was like it was a switch with Kai.

That night I wouldn't answer my phone or see anyone no matter how many times my family wanted me to see people. I spent the evening in my room, writing and listening to music. I had to figure out how to save face and act normal if it was even possible.

The next day, I pretended what happened the previous day didn't happen. I talked to people, including Kai, but I didn't get friendly. It was better that way. A few times, Kai reached for my hand, but I moved my hand to my books. I kept up the act around everyone as good old Faith and refereed my friends. At lunch, I sat in the courtyard, even with Kai, as he rambled on about different things. I didn't pay attention to Kai. He made himself clear. I was clingy, and you know a child who threw a tantrum when things didn't go their way.

"Faith? Are you even listening to me?" Kai asked me.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Look, I got to go before I'm late for class," I said, gathering my stuff and getting down from the half wall.

"Faith," Kai yelled.

"I'll see you later, Kai," I said, walking my next class.

"Come on, Faith," Kai yelled to me, but I left.

That went on for several days. I put on a facade in front of people, including Kai, and when I went home, I stayed in my room, writing. It was easier than dealing with the pain, then letting people know how I felt. I didn't want the pity.

Max and Margo had a party, and I reluctantly agreed to go since they forced out of the house. My parents felt it may help whatever I was dealing with now. At the party, I talked to people, and at some point, I made my way outside for fresh air. I took a seat on a lounger and sat there. I didn't even want to be here now.

"So, are you going to keep ignoring me?" A voice asked me.

I turned around to see Kai walk towards me and sit down on the chaise lounger next to mine, facing me, fantastic.

"I'm not ignoring you. Ignoring you would consist of not talking to you, period. I'm keeping my distance, you know, acting clinging and all."

"Come on, I already apologize for that," Kai said defensively.

"Forget it. It's finished and over," I said.

"Stop doing that," Kai ordered me.

"Doing what?" I questioned.

"That thing you do when you when you become nice because dealing with disappointment becomes too much," Kai accused me. I looked at Kai as he continued, "You do that all the time when things don't work out the way you think they should."

"Well, it's hard when you don't know where you stand with someone," I told Kai.

"I told you where I stood and how I view relationships," Kai told me.

"Then you told me that I was acting clingy when I asked when we were going out again," I reminded Kai.

"Because I didn't want you to expect it," Kai replied.

This guy made absolutely no sense.

"I told you I would call you; then you acted as I should call immediately. Haven't you heard of taking your time with something?" Kai questioned me.

Wow, Kai was even more confusing than ever.

"Sorry that I got excited. I had a great time, but since you like to take your time, that's fine. Take all the time in the world. I'm leaving. I had enough of a party for one night." I stood up and walked away. I told no one that I was leaving. I left with nothing resolved between Kai and I. Things were even more confusing than before with us.

When I got home, my presence surprised my parents that I returned so early, "Baby girl? Why are you home so early?" Dad asked.

"The party was lame. I'm heading to bed. Night," I said, not elaborating further.

"Night, honey," Mom said. I gave them a small smile and went to bed. This night sucked for me.

The next day, everyone bombarded me with questions as to why I left the party early. I told my friends that I wasn't feeling well and called it a night. They seem to accept my excuse except for Kai. He saw right through my lame excuse, which led us to argue frequently.

I hated this. I hated arguing with Kai. The fact that I like Kai didn't help matters. I finally came to a decision. I found Kai at his locker and said, "Look, I'm sorry how things are with us lately."

"Go on, I'm listening," Kai said as he leaned against his locker door.

"I gave our situation a lot of thought, and you're right," I said.

"I am," Kai asked, confused.

"Yes, so I decided that since you want some space, that's what I'll give you. I mean, it was one date, and you never promised me anything. I shouldn't take it personally," I explained confidently with my reason.

"Faith," Kai said.

"No, you're right. I was pushy and accepted that. I promise that I will not give you a difficult time anymore. Friendship is what I'm best at with everyone. So, I'll see you around, friend," I said as I walked past Kai.

Kai turned and yelled, "Faith!"

Kai wanted nothing more than friendship at the moment, and it was the best for us. First, Jacob, then Kai, I batted zero for zero.

I went back to how things were, laughing and joking with everyone. Ever since I decided that a romance wasn't in the cards for me, it was easier. Kai seemed to accept my decision, and we got on like before we went on a date. Things became more natural, which I couldn't be happier. Although it would not stay that way, considering a person had ideas of their own how things would be with us.