Chapter Three

I found myself sitting in the nurses office, next to a sleeping Dante.
He was peaceful but wounded. He had been one of my good friend's for a long time. I never thought something like this could happen to him.

"Your friend will be alright. He just has to rest for a while. You can go back to class." The nurse said walking in.

I nodded, stood up and walked into the corridor. I was still so confused. Dante is a good friend of lots of people. Even though he may be a bit of a casanova, he's still a good person.

The rest of the day I felt like I was a machine. I knew what I was doing but I didn't remember any of it afterwards. It felt so surreal.
After school I walked over to my locker to put my books back in the locker but then Laurance showed up. I had only seen him in class today.

"Hey Garroth , have you seen Dante? We were supposed to work for the project after school." He said, hands in his pockets and looking anywhere but me. What's up with him now?

"Last I saw him at the nurses office." I said closing the locker and looking at him.

"Did something happen for him to be in there?" He asked still avoiding my gaze.

"Yeah... Look I have to go. See you tomorrow." I said picking up my back bag and walking past him. He didn't want to be near me. I could see it in his eyes. Why avoid me all day and come talk to me in the first place.

***

At home I sat on my bed and just looked outside. What has gotten into me. I used to be full of sunshine but now I just sulk in my room, not feeling up to anything. Is it the fact that I will be out of school in a year. But it can't be it. I know that I will be okay after school. And I know that I won't have to think about money for a while. I guess maybe I did get less sleep than usual.

I sit up and take out my homework. Better do something with my time to distract myself from these thoughts.

***

"Garroth, do you know what time it is?" My mother says coming in and sitting on my bed. I look at her for a second but then look back at my homework which had been finished a long time ago. But for me it had seemed like only a few minutes.

"No, I don't" I say closing the book and pacing it on the table.

"Garroth, I'm worried about you. You haven't been yourself lately. Is something on your mind? You can always tell me." She said taking ahold of my hand and waiting patiently for my answer.

But the thing was, I didn't have it.

"I don't know mom, I really don't." I say quietly. "I was fine just yesterday but now it just seems like the world is weighing me down. And at school Laurance seems to not be around much and then today Dante got beat up..."

"What? Why? He is such a nice person. Why would someone do that?" She said hysterically, tears threatening to fall.

"I don't know mum. I will talk to him about it tomorrow, if he comes to school." I say standing up and getting my pyjamas. "But I'm going to sleep now, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay, but please look after yourself. I have work in the morning and won't be back till late. Sleep well." She said walking out and closing the door.

I go into bed and look at the ceiling. Time for my thoughts to take control of me.

Vote|Comment|Follow
-Potato