"Total Eclipse of the Heart"

*Requested* Songfic "Total Eclipse of The Heart" with Damon

(I said it before and I'll say it again; I am not at all experienced with Songfics, so any feedback would help immensely. I do hope you enjoy it. Happy reading my lovelies!)

Characters: Damon x Reader

Warnings: Angst

Word count: 847

The music plays softly in the background blending perfectly with the sound of rain tapping the windshield and the calming howling of the Camaro's engine. Your head rests against the window turned to the side, facing away from your boyfriend Damon. He glances over every once in a while, worried if you are ever capable of forgiving him after what he did.

Your most dreaded fear became your reality; You died with vampire blood in your system. And that only because of Damon's paranoid fear of losing you. He secretly laced your coffee with a few drops of his blood if the plan -you and the gang put together- using you as a decoy wouldn't work out. And his gut feeling did not betray him. The plan went very wrong indeed and you would have been dead if Damon had not protected you.

You were devastated though when you heard the news. You did not want to become a vampire, at least not without properly thinking about it. Sure, you had a day to contemplate whether you drink human blood to complete the transition or refuse and die, but that was not nearly enough time to make a life or death decision. Yet, you decided to complete the transition, mostly because you just did not want to die. At least not permanently.

The previous song ends and changes into the tunes of "Total Eclipse of the heart". How very fitting to your current situation.You listen to the first verses and beginning of the chorus while staring out of the rain covered window.

And I need you now tonight
And I need you more than ever

You do need him more than you have ever before, even though you are still mad he fed you his blood in secret. He did that sole out of his own selfishness.

You glance over watching Damon focus on the road, his eyes lighting up due to various high beams and city lights passing. He must have felt your gaze because he turns his head towards you, his eyebrows slightly furrowed in worry. You quickly look away, avoiding his gaze, while his eyes are still glued to you.

Damon's right hand squeezes the shifter once the chorus kicks in, while the finger on his other hand digs into the wheel. His teeth are clenched, clearly trying to regain emotional stability. He is obviously quite mad at the moment. Mad at himself for feeding you his blood, mad at you for being so incredibly stubborn and reckless and mad at his brother and your friends because no one intervened when you volunteered to be bait.

And if you only hold me tight
We'll be holding on forever

But he did not act solely out of selfishness; he was scared. Scared to lose you because he did not stop you risking your life. Right now he is scared, no, terrified you might hate him forever for his secrecy.

He would love nothing more than to stop this car right here and now and cuddle up in the backseat and hold you tight, apologizing over and over until you believe him.

And we'll only making it right
'Cause we'll never be wrong together

Like the couple in the song, you and Damon could not be wrong together. Never. Yes, Damon fed you his blood in secret and yes, that was wrong, but if you would have been in his position would you not have done the same? You most likely would have because you love him as deeply as he loves you. You were, no, you are the right one for each other. You know that without any doubt.

We can make it to the end of the line
Your love is like a shadow over me

Despite all of this predicament at the moment, you begin to understand his reasons behind his "insurance plan". Maybe he doesn't deserve the silent treatment after all. Maybe your heightened emotions cause you to behave like this? Either way, you could stay mad at him forever or you could embrace your immortal life because after all you'd be with Damon forever and is that not what you always longed for? Living without him would be impossible anyway, since he is in your mind everywhere you go, like a shadow that is following you around.

There is only one thing to do now..

We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

You reach out, determinedly covering your hand with his, giving off sparks once you touch him. It has always been this way, as if your skin electrifies once you touch each other.

Damon smiles and breathes out as if all the tension in his body melted away by your simple gesture.

Damon: "Does that mean you forgive me?

Does it? Maybe. Maybe not. You are not really sure yourself. Perhaps you only need some time to adjust to your new - let's say- lifestyle.

Y/N: "Maybe. But we got forever now to figure that out, right?"

He nods, his hand shifting so he can brush over your thumb.

Damon: "Right."

Forever's gonna start tonight