Empty Chairs

"Hey, you wanna come over later for dinner?" Tony asked across the bullpen. "Senior's in town for a couple days, thought I'd actually cook. I already invited the others."

Ziva looked up in surprise, mostly because of the news about DiNozzo Sr, but also a little because she couldn't imagine Tony cooking a large meal.

"You wanna come?" Tony asked again.

She fidgeted with the papers in front of her. "I would love to, Tony, but I already have plans for tonight. I am sorry."

"Plans others than dinner at my place?"

Ziva felt her face heat up. "Do not try to make me feel bad. We made these reservations a month ago. I cannot change plans last minute."

"Fancy dinner with Ray?"

"Yes. He got a job offer, a very good one, and I wanted to celebrate with a nice dinner at Marcel's."

She saw Tony's eyebrows shoot up at the mention of the job offer.

"Someone still wants him after he-"

She cut him off with a single look. "Yes. The Pentagon is being very forgiving." She was actually quite pleased to brag about it. "They are happy to have him."

"I'm sure they are."

She couldn't tell if he was being honest or sarcastic.

"Oh well. Enjoy your wine and caviar."

She would've snapped at him, but Gibbs strode in with McGee on his heels.

***

"I'm running a little behind, Ziva." He didn't miss her sigh. "I'm going to have to come straight to the restaurant," he said, thinking he'd save some time. "I'm really sorry."

She sighed again.

"Will you be okay meeting me there?"

"Yes. I just... I thought late nights were over."

He didn't dare mention that she had her fair share of late nights. "It's just this once, I promise. I'm walking out to my car right now."

"Fine. I will meet you there."

"Okay. I'll see you in twenty minutes. I love you."

"Love you, too."

He certainly noticed that she didn't say all three words, but he couldn't blame her. He made her a promise and she was upset about him breaking it. She was upset that she would end up waiting for him at a restaurant again.

Ray pulled his car keys out of his pocket and unlocked the driver's door. The smell of new leather seeped up as he slid into the seat.

The Pentagon was very generous.

He closed the door and heard movement in the backseat.

He turned around in the seat as best he could.

A gun muzzle was inches from his face.

"Hello, Agent Cruz," Nick Burris said.

***

Ziva brushed a curl out of her face and glanced around the restaurant one more time.

Where was he? He said twenty minutes, and it was twenty minutes past that.

Myabe there was traffic?

She slipped her phone out and checked for traffic. There was hardly any, just as she thought.