Rule #12

He opened his eyes when a sliver of light crossed his face, but he wasn't really awake until he heard Ziva whisper, "Tony."

"Hm?" He sat up and reached over to turn the lamp on. Immediately he saw her standing in the doorway, wearing only a large NCIS t-shirt.

He blinked. "What's up?"

"I cannot sleep." That was the most she'd spoken since she killed Judas that afternoon.

He wasn't sure what more to do than pat the bed next to him. He didn't know what else he was expecting, but he certainly didn't think she'd actually come over and sit beside him.

"You did the right thing," he murmured, brushing the back of her hand with his finger.

She stared down at her hands. "How can I be sure?"

"Honestly? Just tell yourself you did the right thing until you can believe it. But if that doesn't work, look at the facts. Mr. Smith is a bad dude. Judas was working for him, even while he was working the case with you and Daniel. He murdered Daniel just the other day, probably because Daniel got too close to the truth. He would've killed you, too."

She didn't say anything.

"Think of it this way. There's one less killer out in the world. One less person to do Mr. Smith's bidding."

"There are others," she whispered.

"That doesn't matter. He could have an entire army, for all the good it will do him. We're going to catch him, and you're going to end him."

"How can you be so sure?"

He gave her a small smile. "Because I know you. You don't stop until you get what you want."

"And I know what I want."

"Right. So it won't be a problem catching-"

"I meant you."

His eyes widened. This couldn't be happening. "Ziva, you had a long day, I don't think-"

She leaned forward and kissed him before he could finish the sentence. "Do not think," she breathed.

She pushed him backwards into the pillows.

***

Gibbs sighed as he knocked a third time. He knew Ziva was no longer in danger, but it would be nice to get out of this heat.

What was the holdup?

He knocked yet again, his temper getting seriously close to the snapping point. The heat wasn't helping.

The door was suddenly flung inward, revealing DiNozzo standing there shirtless. "Sorry, Boss," he muttered, immediately glancing down at his bare chest. "I'll... go find a shirt."

"You do that." Gibbs slowly walked into the house, taking his time looking around.

He turned at the footsteps on the stairs and saw Ziva, still in the process of towelling her hair.

"Gibbs!" She stopped where she was, two steps from the bottom.

Did DiNozzo not tell her that he was coming?

"Ziver. How're you holding up?"

Her face lost some of its life. "I am fine."

Always the same answer from her. He knew she wasn't fine, never had been.

But it was always far more worrying when she couldn't muster an answer.

"Can I get you anything?" she asked. "Coffee? I could make breakfast, if you are hungry."

"I wouldn't turn down coffee."

A small smile brought the sparkle back into her eyes. "Coffee it is."

DiNozzo came barreling into the kitchen, now fully dressed. "Hey, Boss, how was your flight?"

"Had some turbulence."

"Ah. Turbulence." DiNozzo sat down at the table, leaving an empty chair between him and Ziva.

Something was up.

Ziva bit her lip and looked anywhere but at DiNozzo.

Judging by the awkward interaction, they were either fighting or...

Or Rule #12 had been compromised.

Well, it was about dang time.

He couldn't help the smirk that leapt to his lips. It was just so funny watching the two of them try to hide from him, when the truth was written all over their faces.

"The coffee is done." Ziva practically jumped out of her seat.

DiNozzo didn't even glance after her. Of anything, his seeming carelessness was even more of a giveaway than if he had watched her leave.

"Sleep well?" Gibbs asked.

DiNozzo squirmed in his chair. "Sure, Boss. Yesterday really tired me out."

"I'm sure. How about you, Ziver?"

He almost laughed when she paled. "What?"

"Sleep well?" Just a few more minutes and then he'd stop torturing them.

"Oh! Oh, yes. I did. Very well, thanks..." She poured coffee for the three of them and then sat down.

Gibbs let the silence settle in. Sometimes silence was your best friend.

Sure enough, DiNozzo seemed to get twitchier and twitchier over the next couple of minutes. Ziva, on the other hand, didn't touch her coffee but instead stared into it.

Maybe he was taking it a little too far.

"When are you two flying back to DC?" he asked, fingering the mug's handle.

DiNozzo and Ziva exchanged a quick glance.

"I need to talk to my father about... yesterday, before I can leave," Ziva said. "There are a few loose ends to be dealt with."

Gibbs already knew that Mr. Smith had slipped through their fingers, and he figured that the man had skipped town. No doubt he'd get away again. It happened sometimes.

"Sounds like you don't need me here."

"You do not have to-"

"My flight leaves in two hours." Gibbs swallowed the last moutful of his coffee. "I'll see you back in DC."

He actually didn't even have a flight yet, but they didn't need to know that. He just wanted to give them some more alone time before they had to go home.

Things never look the same on the other side of the ocean.

*****

Well? Was that everything you were hoping for? I didn't want to make it too ...hot... but I think that was just enough. I enjoyed writing that scene.

Stayed tuned!!!

Vote/comment/follow