SEVEN.

( book i, CHAPTER SEVEN )

     GRACE'S VOICE ECHOED THROUGHOUT the bar- a lovely melody escaped her lips, causing Eliza to smile

GRACE'S VOICE ECHOED THROUGHOUT the bar- a lovely melody escaped her lips, causing Eliza to smile. Grace had asked if she wanted to sing along beside her, but Eliza settled with a respectful decline. Singing brought painful memories back- memories she could do without.

Grace continued her song as the entire bar went silent just to listen. And eventually everyone joined in as well- even Harry. Not too long after, Eliza found herself softly singing along the lyrics as well. She leaned against one of the pillars that stood near the bar counter, and wiped down some of the glasses while she sung along with everyone else.

"The boy I love is up in the gallery. The boy I love is looking at me..."

The joyful singing eventually died down as the back room door opened and out walked the infamous Shelby brothers. Yet, Grace continued her song until the end; and when Eliza finally looked towards a certain Shelby, she found that he was already looking at her.

Before she could decipher his features, Harry immediately began conversing with Tommy, "We haven't had singing in here since the war."

Tommy glanced at the barman with emotionless eyes, "Why do you think that is, Harry?"

Eliza noticed the way Grace looked down in discomfort, causing her to gently grab the hand of the blonde woman and send her a soft smile, "That was lovely, Grace."

Grace only nodded, sending the woman a brief smile, before heading back behind the bar to continue working.

Eliza also went back to cleaning the dirty glasses, while the rest of the bar stayed in murmuring silence.  

"Elizabeth," Tommy nodded, walking up to her on the opposite side of the bar, "Let's go."

"But my shift isn't over."

"It is now," the Shelby brother replied curtly, waiting for her to remove her apron. She noticed Arthur and John's absence from the bar with slight sadness- she wanted to give them a proper greeting.

"Thomas, I can't just leave. This is my first day-"

"It's okay, Ms. Eliza," Harry chipped in, glancing at Thomas, "You go on home now. Grace and I can handle it from here. And don't you worry, I'll pay you for the whole shift."

Eliza was ready to hesitate, but the look on Harry's face told her otherwise. She opted to give him a gentle smile before replying, "Thank you, Harry. I promise I'll make up the time."

Harry smiled at the sweet brunette, "Don't you worry about it, Ms. Eliza. Now you have yourself a good night."

She sighed but sent him a brief smile, "You as well. Tell Grace I said the same to her."

"Will do."

She took off her apron and set it in the back room, before going to the other side of the counter to meet Tommy.

"Why'd you do that?" She questioned him once they were both out of the bar.

"It was getting late."

"As it does every night. I can't just bail on Harry, Thomas. It isn't right," Eliza responded with a sign.

Tommy stayed silent, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it as they walked. He immediately noticed how the cool, night air sent chills through the Ramsey girl's body, but she continued to walk as if nothing was bothering her. Tommy shrugged off his blazer and placed it around her shoulders to which she sent him a soft smile and muttered, "Thank you."

He only nodded, watching as she clasped her fingers around the front of his blazer so that it wouldn't fall off.

They eventually arrived in front of Agatha's inn. Most of the lights within the building were already dimmed and shut off. Eliza couldn't help but hope that Ronan was preparing for bed.

"I didn't want you to walk home alone or in the dark," Tommy stated lowly, breaking their silence as he put out his cigarette.

She nodded in understanding, quietly removing the blazer and folding it over her arm before handing it back to its owner, "Thank you, Thomas."

He nodded before turning to leave, but Eliza couldn't help herself. She called him back and before she knew it she was lacing her arms around his neck and pulling him into a tight hug. A part of her felt the need to connect their lips just once- for the hell of it even, but Eliza settled for the warm embrace nonetheless.

He could feel her breath against his neck, causing all of the hairs around the nape of his neck to unwillingly rise. It took a moment for him to wrap his arms around her dainty waist. It almost felt like old times. He wanted to bury his face into her neck- pick her up and take her home with him, but he refrained.

It's been years, he thought, a hug would just have to suffice.

After a few moments settled in each other's arms, Eliza leaned up on to her tippy-toes and whispered into his ear, "I've missed you very much, Thomas."

A part of him desperately wanted the words to mean something else- insinuate something else, but he knew too much time had passed for her to relay those past emotions once over.

Before he could even respond, the brunette beauty was out of his arms and whisked away into the inn.

I've missed you too, he thought sullenly as he began walking away from the inn, Very, very much.

And with that Thomas Shelby retired for the night.