TEN.

( book i, CHAPTER TEN )

          TOMMY HAD STAYED FOR A COUPLE more hours before having to leave

TOMMY HAD STAYED FOR A COUPLE more hours before having to leave. He still had a family meeting to get to- the copper's raid couldn't go unanswered, but he had wanted to clear up any ill feelings with Eliza.

He had also wanted to get to know more about this Will figure that had taken up residence with the Ramsey family after they left Birmingham. But, to no avail, Tommy couldn't seem to get much out of Eliza about the man- so he decided to save the conversation for another time.

It wasn't until late at night when a Shelby came knocking upon Eliza's door. Although, this time it was John that came.

"John?" Eliza questioned after answering the door. She had yet to get dressed for bed. She let him step into the room, "What are you doing here?"

"We're having a bit of a bonfire tonight. Tommy wanted us to gather everyone," he stated, his gaze immediately being caught by the sleeping boy, "Who's this?"

"Ronan- he and his brother came to stay with us after we left Birmingham. I'm his guardian now," Eliza answered steadily, "And a bonfire? Heaven's sake, what for?"

"Because the coppers- come on, 'Liza. Will you just come?"

Eliza looked back at Ronan, "I don't know, John. Ronan-"

"He can come too!"

She thought about John's offer. Maybe, this bonfire would be good for Ronan. He could take his mind off of the events of today. But, she didn't know how he'd feel if he saw Tommy- Eliza wasn't even sure how she'd feel if she saw Tommy again, "Im sorry, John. I don't think tonight is such a good idea."

At her somber tone John ceased his coaxing and nodded understandingly, "Alright- alright 'Liza. You have a good night, eh?"

She nodded and he gave her a quick peck on the cheek before heading out. Once he left, Eliza sighed and ran her fingers through her curls. She crossed to the other side of the room, but before she could get anywhere, a voice interrupted her actions, "Can we go, Lizzie?"

Her head snapped around to meet Ronan's sleepy gaze, "Ron, what are you doing up?"

"I woke up as soon as you answered the door," Ronan stated like it was the most obvious thing, "But can we please go, Lizzie? Please?"

Eliza tilted her head to the side as she looked towards the boy before her, "The man who invited us- John- his older brother is Tommy. He will undoubtedly be there. Are you sure you want to go?"

Ronan was silent for a moment, his eyes wandering around the dark room before meeting her gaze. Eliza walked over to him, running her hands through his hair, "It's okay if you don't want to see Tommy. You saw some terrible things, but I don't ever want you to think you can't tell me anything."

Ronan was quiet for a moment before responding with a nod, "I want to go. You'll be there with me, though, right?"

Eliza smiled, "Right."

• • •

         THE BONFIRE TOOK PLACE AT THE center of the street of houses that had been raided

         THE BONFIRE TOOK PLACE AT THE center of the street of houses that had been raided. Portraits and frames which held the image of the King had served as the sustenance which kept the bonfire alight.

Nearly the entire neighborhood had made an appearance- all gathering around the open fire. Oddly enough, it was a warm and comfortable environment, despite the major political statement being issued- children ran amongst themselves, while lovers cuddled up against one another and watched the flames of the fire kick before them.

Eliza stood in front of the fire, her arms laced together in front of her chest. She watched as Ronan played with the other children- the group running around the area and pointing at the flames.

She was happy to see him so normal and excited. Ronan's demeanor was always positive, but since Danny Whizz-Bang's death, he seemed as though nothing could lift his dreary mood. She stared at the fire for a few moment before feeling a presence walk up behind her.

"I'm glad that you decided to come," Tommy stated from beside her, glancing at the Ramsey girl before keeping his eyes locked on the flames.

Eliza softly turned to meet his eyes. She liked how the shadows of the flame danced off the side of his face. The shadowy hues made his eyes brighter and his cheek bones more defined- for a moment, Eliza remained mesmerized.

"Ronan overhead John's invitation. He wanted to come," Eliza replied, "Said he wanted me to go with him. He's scared of you, Thomas."

Tommy sighed, finally turning to meet her gaze. He still felt horribly guilty for the young Buchanan boy catching him in "killing" Danny. He caught Eliza looking across the bonfire and saw the boy in question giggling amongst the other children in the neighborhood.

"I know. I just-" he paused. What was he going to say? He desperately wanted to tell her that Danny's death was a hoax done to protect them, but how? He could see how she already looked at him under a new light- under a new dark. And the boy, young Ronan- he deserved so much better, "I just need a moment to explain things to you both."

"Well?" Eliza asked expectantly.

"Not here, Elizabeth. Most definitely not here."

Eliza nodded, "Okay. You can meet us back at the inn after the bonfire."

Eliza stayed by the fire with Tommy for a little over an hour. The two had edged closer to one another as each moment passed, the bonfire coaxing them closer to each other. Eventually, Eliza found herself leaning against his body, her head gently against his shoulder and his arm wrapped around her waist. They were both silent- staring at the embers floating into the air.

The words I love you seemed appropriate for their tender moment, but either person who had desired to say the words opted to remained silent. They had history, yes, but those loving memories had long since passed them by.