THIRTEEN.

( book i, CHAPTER THIRTEEN )

          ELIZA WATCHED WITH GENTLE EYES AS POLLY TALKED TO ADA

ELIZA WATCHED WITH GENTLE EYES AS POLLY TALKED TO ADA. She had arrived to see Ada crying her poor eyes out into her aunt's lap. It truly broke her heart to see her friend in such a state.

But, an hour later, Ada had calmed down and sat uncharacteristically still, listening to Polly a she talked. Although, Eliza could see that she had wore herself out with her tears.

"The longer you leave it," Polly stated, "the worse it gets. Believe me, I know," the older woman exhaled a shaky breath, "I was sixteen, and I didn't dare tell a soul."

"I- Freddie will come back," Ada replied, shaking her head. She looked to Eliza with pleading eyes, "I know he will-"

Eliza hushed her and pulled her into another hug. She desperately wanted it to be true - that Freddie would return and he and Ada could live happily with their child - but she knew she couldn't. She kissed the palm of Ada's left hand before rubbing it with both hands to soothe the girl.

"In the end, I did it myself - I did it to myself," Polly continued, "I almost died... and he didn't come back."

Eliza stayed silent, she and Ada listening as Polly's eyes welled with tears. She almost felt like looking away, as if it was an invasion of privacy to see Polly in such a vulnerable state. But it was the soft and steady flow of rage beneath the Gray woman's eyes that kept her watching and listening.

"They never come back and why should they?" Polly spoke, "You know the words: you're a whore, the baby's a bastard. But there's no word for the man that doesn't come back.

"One day, on your wedding day, you'll have a good man on your arm. And you'll say: 'Polly, thank you for common sense.'" Polly leaned back into her chair with a nod, "This woman is in Cardiff. We'll take the train tomorrow. We'll go to the castle afterwards for a treat."

Ada nodded before turning to look back at the fire, her hand clutching Eliza's. Polly stood up, staring at the two girls with a small smile before leaving with a soft stroke on Ada's cheek.

It was silent for some time when Eliza decided to speak to her friend, "I know what you're going through is difficult... and I can't even begin to imagine the hurt you're going through. But, Ada, I want you to know that, whatever you decide, I will always stand by you," Eliza pushed a strand of hair behind the Shelby girl's ear, "You're one of my greatest friends and I love you very dearly. And I know you're burning with anger at what Thomas has done, but you should also know that he comes with good intent. You're brother can be quite dense at times when showing his affections, but they're there. You deserve the world, Ada - he thinks so too."

Ada sniffled but nodded nonetheless. She didn't reply but she graciously accepted Eliza's company as the two sat before the fire. She had wanted to say I love you to Eliza, more than anything, but by the way the Ramsey girl held her hand and stared into the fire with her, Ada got a feeling she already knew.