ELEVEN.

( book i, CHAPTER ELEVEN )

           TOMMY HAD KEPT HIS WORD AND met Eliza back at the suite she shared with Ronan

TOMMY HAD KEPT HIS WORD AND met Eliza back at the suite she shared with Ronan. It was nearly midnight when he knocked on her door. He had been stressed and about the effects of his interview with the reporter. Yet, a part of him yearned to hit the coppers back harder than they did to the Small Heath population.

He listened to the soft scolding of Eliza before hearing her pattering footsteps walk towards the door. She opened it with a tired smile, "Come in."

He nodded before stepping into the room. Ronan was in the corner on the bed, his eyes wide and full of fear- but to Tommy's surprise he held quite a brave composure.

"Hello, Ron," Tommy greeted, looking at the boy. He gave him a small smile, but the action was never returned, "Do you still want to take a ride on old Monaghan Boy?"

It looked like Ronan had wanted to say yes, but the actions of the morning had seemed to hold him back. He stayed silent- watching Tommy with steady eyes. Tommy looked beside him at the Ramsey girl before sighing- he was at a loss for words. What was he supposed to say-

"Why did you kill the man on the dock?"

Thomas Shelby's thoughts were quieted by the boy's question. Would he tell the pair? It could cause a lot of trouble. But, surely they would understand? Danny Whizz-Bang alive and well? What would they say? What would they do? It was an internal conflict that caused him to feel like he was being ripped in two. And yet, by the end of struggle he had come up with the same solution as he had thought of at the start.

"The man on the dock was a good man. But he did a bad thing that made a lot of powerful people angry. If he didn't die, than many other good people would have," Tommy replied softly. He kneeled down before Ronan, while Elizabeth watched the two from the other side of the room, "But let me tell you a secret, Ronan. And you must promise not to whisper a word to anyone."

Ronan's curiosity seemed peaked as he hesitantly leaned towards the man.

"He's not dead."

Eliza's eyes shot towards Tommy's figure in shock. Did she hear him correctly? It couldn't be.

"Tommy..."

The Shelby man stood up and gave Ronan one last glance before turning to Eliza, "The barrel was filled with sheep brains. Danny boy is still alive and well."

The Shelby man hadn't wanted to tell her more- hell, he didn't want to tell her anything. But she had a way with her words- or maybe it was her presence. Well, whatever it was, it seemed to release every secret he had wanted to hold.

"Tommy, please tell me this is not a joke," Eliza stated, watching the man with uncertain eyes. In fact, he seemed uncertain himself. Whether it was about Danny or the secret of his survival- she didn't know.

"No."

She immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him close to her, "Thank you," she whispered, "Thank you."

Tommy wasn't sure of the meaning behind her words. But a part of him seemed to register them quickly. Elizabeth Ramsey was grateful. She was grateful that Thomas Shelby had not killed an innocent man- that he had not given a troubled soldier a death such as that. Danny Whizz-Bang reminded her of Augustus.

Of course, the death had looked real- and it was still a scary memory for Ronan, but he didn't feel fear when he looked at Thomas Shelby.

It wasn't until a few moments later that Tommy had felt a tug on his pant leg and a thin arm wrap around his waist. He felt Ronan bury his face into his stomach. And although no words were spoken, Tommy understood that by some miracle he had been forgiven.

Tommy picked up the boy and swung him around causing Ronan's tears to fall away as a smile broke out on his face, "Now, its time to get you into bed, little man."

He placed Ronan into the bed and placed the covers over him. Eliza watched them quietly. Tommy talked gently to the boy until Ronan dazed into a slumber. It wasn't long after that she walked him to the door, watching as he swiftly slid out of the room and into the dark hallway.

"I'm sorry I had gotten angry at you."

Nodding at her words, Tommy replied, "I deserved it. Hell, I deserved much worse."

It was quiet for a moment before she continued, her voice smooth in the dark hallway, "You have a good heart, Thomas. You always have."

Tommy stayed silent. Eventually, he found himself walking away and Eliza softly shutting the door- her words echoing in his head.

Good heart? He chuckled dryly to himself as he walked down the dimly lit street, No. Definitely not.

He didn't have a good heart. No. He's never had a good heart. But he always had her.