Missy Meets her Latvian Pen Pal

Madeline carefully sorts through her sister's belongings, trying not to think of what had happened in the small apartment just a week before. She glances at the magazine in front of her, skimming the headline: Dax Palmero - The Man, The Myth, The Legend. The subtitle is equally ostentatious: An Exclusive Look at his Final Collection: Mara.

"I found another stack of letters."

     Emma tosses her a bound package in her direction. She picks them up, running her fingers over the edges.

"I think those are from her pen pal."

"Really?"

     Emma gives her best friend a small nod before turning back to the tidy mess that litters the now uninhabited space. Madeline drags her attention to the letters, untying the bundle and opening the first envelope.

Dear Missy,

     It's so neat that you are a writer! I wanted to be a writer, but I loved drawing so I became an artist instead. I've enclosed a few drawings of mine and I hope you like them! Maybe you can send me parts of your book because I would love to read it.

     I'm sorry that this letter is so short but I have to pack for an art fair that I am attending in Riga in two days. It is the first time I am attending it, and I hope everything goes smoothly. Feel free to write me, though I might reply a little bit later than usual. I hope to hear from you soon!

Your Pen Pal,

Mara Saule

     The envelope contains two small sketches, one of a lighthouse in the sea and the other a portrait of a young man. Emma stands, making her way through the small apartment to peer over Madeline's shoulder at the drawings.

"Wow, those are really good! They're from her pen pal, Mara, right?"

     Madeline nods. Something about the art style seems familiar, too familiar.

"Missy loved to draw too," her voice is quiet. "She wanted to be an artist before she became a writer."

     Emma places a hand on her back, a comforting gesture that does nothing to ease her pain.

"Do you know if there's a return address on the envelope?" Emma asks softly. "Maybe we can contact Mara."

     She doesn't take her eyes off the drawings as Emma picks up the envelope she tossed to the side and flips it over. There is a silence before Emma finally speaks.

"Madeline."

     The envelope is placed in front of her and she looks at it. There is no return address.