Not The American Average

Faith.
This is the last time I'll see this place, it holds so many memories that I'd give anything to forget if only I could. Mom and Dad moved here a year before I was born and we've never moved since. That was 18 years ago. Things change in 18 years. The house is still more or less the same but the family isn't anymore. 24 hours ago my parents were killed in a car accident. Driving along the high way coming back from a romantic meal for their 23rd Wedding anniversary when they were hit by a drunk driver, instantly killing them both. I received the heartbreaking call a few hours after their deaths, the police said they would be over in the morning to discuss things. And so when the morning came there they were on my doorstep. They wore sympathetic smiles on their faces as they sat across from me in the living room. I sat in silence as they spoke, just shaking my head yes or no to answer them occasionally. Then they mentioned what I had been dreading, going to the orphanage. Since my mom and dad moved to America long before I was born I never knew any of my other family so the only option was the orphanage. I tried to argue against them by saying I was 18 in a few months and that I could take care of myself but they refused. They told me to pack up the possessions I would like to take with me and we'd be of.

---

Once I had packed my things they whisked me off to the orphanage. It was just over an hour away but time flew by. Before I knew it we were pulling up outside the dreaded building.

"Here ya' go kid" one of the officers said.

I nodded, grabbed my bag and got out the car. I watched as they drove off and disappeared telling me they had reached the end of the street and were gone for good. I turned and looked up at the sign above the door that read 'Orphanage' tears blurred my vision but I blinked them away, i didn't want them to think I was weak, at least not right away. I pushed open the door with a sigh and was greeted by a middle aged woman behind the front desk. She smiled warmly at me as she walked over to pull me into a bone crushing hug. I just stood there awkwardly, I'm not a hugger.

"Hello sweetie, you must be Faith! I received a phone call earlier telling me all about you and I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I'll take you to your room straight away so you can unpack then I'll take you to meet the other kids!" She said in a high pitched voice.

"Thanks" I mumbled.

"Here I'll take your jacket" she offered and reached out totals my jacket off but I moved backwards.

"I'll keep it on but thank you for offering" I mumbled again.

"Okay the sweetie"

She lead me to my room and let me in, she said she would be back in 20 minutes so she could introduce me to everyone else which I wasn't exactly looking forward too. I don't like meeting new people because they judge me by my looks. They see my piercings and sometimes they see the scars that cover my arms and automatically set me into one of their stereotypical groups. Which I hate. I lay my bag down and looked around the room, the walls were painted green which was nice but apart from that it was plain and simple. A bed, a desk, a wardrobe and a window on the far wall which looked out on the deserted rain soaked street. It was somewhat calming and I could tell at that moment I'd be spending a lot of my time here looking out over the street. There was a nock at the door, it defiantly had net been 20 minutes but I opened the door to see the same woman as before. She smiled and took my hand leading to me a room full of different aged people who I was guessing were the people who also lived here.

"Everyone this is Faith, Faith why don't you tell them a little about yourself honey?"

I looked around the room at their disgusted faces. Some of the younger ones even looked scared. I looked at my feet and shook my head, I didn't want them to know anything about me, my past or anything at all.