31. The Return

Well, well, well. Bet you thought you'd seen the last of us. So did we, tbh. If anyone is still here, wanting to read any of this... thank you. Thank you for your patience with us. This is no guarantee that updates will ever be regular again, but they will come. Hopefully not as long a wait though. Anyways, we won't keep you any longer, here is the new chapter for those who are still hanging around. Shout out goes to all of you.

Xavier's POV:

The hot water felt heavenly as it soothed the irritated skin where the stitches had been. They had been removed just yesterday and the skin still felt tender and the scab itched, despite its rapid healing. In a week or two the cuts would be nothing but silvery scars, even if the bruises remained for longer.

With a sigh I reached out to shut off the taps, stepping out of the shower and draping a towel around my waist as I went to look in the mirror. My hair dripped water into my eyes as I wiped a part of the mirror to see my reflection through the steam. The swelling had subsided almost completely which I was immensely thankful for and the redness in my eye had diminished to a few angry blood vessels but was otherwise healed if I didn't mind looking a little high. The bruising was still quite awful and I suspected that I would be dealing with that for quite a while.

After staring for a moment I decided that I needed to get a move on if I wanted to make it to school on time, it was after all my first day back since the accident. I brushed my teeth, careful of the abused muscles on the left side of my face and left the room to get dressed.

I found Alistair sprawled out on my bed, his dark skin standing out against my cream sheets as he rushed to get at least some of his homework done. I had no doubt that he'd probably had it all weekend if not longer, but then again it was surprising that he was even doing it now.

"You take like five years in the shower man." Alice whined, flopping onto his back as I walked towards my wardrobe, I flipped him the bird over my shoulder and grabbed a pair of boxers. I dropped the towel once they were on not caring that Alistair was there, nudity was a thing when you were in a sports team together, you'd seen what everyone had enough that it really didn't matter.

"You've literally kept Ash and me waiting over an hour for you to get ready so fuck off." I stated, flashing him a smirk when he gave me a mock hurt expression. He retaliated by throwing my shirt at me but I simply caught it with an eye roll.

"Whatever, hurry up and get dressed so we can go." Alice whined, and I shook my head in amusement.

"Bloody hell, never thought I'd see the day that Alistair Kensington wanted to go to school." I commented in mock amazement as I tugged on my jeans.

"Oh shut up, Willow will be there." Alistair huffed, and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I don't think I've ever seen you so keen on someone." It was true. I don't think he's ever been invested in a girl for this long since Rachel Thicket from 7th grade. Alice wasn't the type of guy to do relationships, in fact the only one out of us three that actually bothered with relationships was Ashton and even his didn't usually last for longer than a month. Unless you counted his ridiculous on-again-off-again thing that he'd been doing with Rebekah for a little while - then again that didn't seem to be happening recently.

"I know man," Alistair replied looking deep in thought as he stared up at the ceiling, "There's just something about her."

My expression turned soft as I watched him, it was nice to see him finally settling down with someone. Who knows? Maybe she'll be able to straighten him out a bit. Get him to stop fighting at least. I knew it was a terrible thing to think, to put that much pressure on her, but Ashton and I honestly didn't know what to do.