New Guy In Town

(???)

I saw  Via walking to school in the woods today. She took small steps and her feet crunched across the fallen sticks, her fists curled up at her sides, her hair falling carelessly yet beautifully. I quietly walked up behind her. She turned around and sensed me.

"Heard you needed a ride to school?" I said. 

(Via)

The stranger was much taller than me. He blocked the sun, I could barely see his face. He swept his arm under my leg and positioned me so I basically perched like a stupid bird on his arm. He was strong, I could tell, but not as strong as me. 

"Ya know, I'm perfectly capable of walking myself." I tried to get up, but he grabbed my shoulder and held me down. 

"Just thought you looked tired." He said. His tone reeked of smugness. 

As the school came into view, he started to get... Smaller. Shrinking from the way he towed over me earlier.

"Um... you shrunk ..." I said. My mind ran to assume he had to be a demon. 

"Well, I can't go to school looking like that!" He grinned. "That's a little tall for a high schooler."

I raised an eyebrow at him. I didn't appreciate his lack of specifics. 

After a while of walking as he hummed happily, he loosened his grip and I managed to slip away and run the remaining feet to the school which wasn't very far. I walked into school to see... Posters?

Posters of me and that creep were plastered everywhere. Just great. Can Miranda really take a picture and print it that fast? Unbelievable. Super speed or something. Maybe she's all-powerful!

I snickered to myself. Yeah right.

I zoomed over to the poster in about in 2 seconds and ripped it down. There was a couple more, though.

Then I realized something.

No one was laughing.

My eyes widened. I suddenly eyed a group of girls by a poster and went over to them. I vaguely recognized a few. 

"Hey. Why isn't anyone laughing at the posters?" I asked blankly, interrupting anything they said.

A girl with shoulder-length hair stepped out. Her hair color was a red link ombrè. I recognized her from Miranda's friend group and stepped back. 

"Well, what about what you said yesterday... About like, the stuff with what kids laugh at nowadays... People took that to heart..."

"And people are listening?"

"Well, yeah. Except Miranda. And tons of kids wanna be your friend. I-including me." She smiled shyly.

I smiled back confidently at her. "What's your name?"

She opened her mouth to a bigger smile. "My name is Ashlyn."

"I'm Via!" We shook hands but there was an awkwardness to it. "I'd love to chat more, but I have business to attend to. I'll catch you at lunch, if you wanna discuss more." I wanted to get info from her about Miranda, but she also seemed very sweet. 

I waved and walked off. I was really proud of actually making a new friend. But then...

I started thinking about dad. It killed my mood and I couldn't pay attention for my entire class period. I mean, he kills kids for fun. I know he would never kill me, but I guess...he just doesn't understand that I don't wanna be bad sometimes. 

-recess-

After small-talking with Ashlyn for a little at lunch, I was sitting on the swings during recess to collect my thoughts. I looked up and Vlend sat down next to me. My heart jumped. Why couldn't he just leave me alone? 

"You know what you did was wrong." He stared me down. 

I had to think back to the fight to remember what he was talking about. I thought we had moved on from this. "It's funny that you think I care."

"You almost killed her! She-"

"Again I don't care. She deserved it. Now, you're not worth my time." I knew it was harsh, but if he was going to abandon me, I was speeding up the process. 

I stood up. I was so sick of him.

"I-"

I turned to him harshly. 

"You hate me and I'm fine with that. Now, why don't you leave and tell everyone Im Slendermans daughter and make me feel like a horrible person? Clearly, you think I'm that bad. Make me move schools again, see if I care"

He narrowed his eyebrows and started to speak. But I heard nothing. Everything started to spin and go dark. I held my head and fell to the ground. Not again.

I opened my eyes to a foggy forest. I saw Dad walking in front of me.

He stopped dead in front of me and helped me up. Before I said anything, he asked in a low  voice, "Why do you hate me?"

I looked at him with frustration. I'd tell him the truths of his time. "Because you think everyone has to die or be evil..."

He made sad eyes and ran his long fingers through my soft black hair.

He looked into my eyes. I could tell he was trying to get me to think he wasn't that bad. 

I suddenly felt a soft weight on my body. I saw faint purple marks form on my arms. Bruises.

"Via? What's going on?"

"The overworld, someone trying to..." I struggled to separate my words. It was like they were bonded together.

"Okay, okay... one second... once you get back there, beat the hell out of them, Via."

I looked at the floor at his bad attempt to persuade me, but I heard less and less forest ambiance and more kids laughing. 

My vision was blurry and clear again to clear blue skies and I was slumped against a tree.

I looked up. Miranda. A couple of her minions, too.

She was snickering.

"You blanked out, going insane Via?? You're bound to go down that road anyways."

She kicked at my stomach and I growled, standing up. I felt someone punch me in the side and I was knocked over.

"Ahem, may I ask a quesion? What are you doing to Via?" A husky voice asked.

I looked up. Dad was standing there.

Great.

And that stranger was behind him.

Fantastic.

And I noticed Ashlyn. 

Miranda and her friends turn, and shriek when they see the monster...

"WHAT IS THAT?!" A brunette yelped.

"I'm... the Slenderman. And that's m-"

The group of girls started yelling and shrieking again and ran. The stranger boy rushed over to me and without asking me, grabbed my hand firmly and yanked me onto my feet. I was too shocked that my father was here to say anything.

"And the rest of you..." Dad said...

The other girls were crying and hugging each other.

"RUN!"

They ran for the hills.

I wondered what everyone would have to say about it tomorrow.