Chapter Seven

Jacklyn

Wednesday morning came and by the time the sun starts to peek over the horizon my bags are packed and I'm at the front desk checking out.

I want to get home as soon as possible.

I send a text to my mom and she says she was home. The drive takes about forty five minutes so I should be home around six.

I quickly walk through the parking lot to my car, throwing my bag in the back and starting the car up, naturally locking the doors. I pull out of the parking lot, drive on the city streets. Traffic wasn't terrible, and I turn my music on to help ease my nerves.

I don't know what to expect when I get home. I half expected everything to be fine and the other half expecting Mike holding my parents hostage, waiting for me to return home.

Even with the AC blasting through my car vents I was sweating bullets the entire car ride. Before all of this I was a laid back person, and now I've morphed into a anxiety machine.

I don't want to be taken away from my life. I want to live carefree through the summer, finish my senior year and have a huge graduation party thrown for me. I didn't want to be taken by some pedophile who will probably kill me once he's finished doing whatever he's liked.

But I know if it comes down to that, I will never stop fighting.

My eyelids are heavy with fatigue as I pull into the driveway, my anxiety spiking when I notice that my parent's cars aren't in the driveway. I gulp as I park and lock my car, dialing 911 as a precaution. I swing my bag over my shoulder and try to walk up to porch casually. I look over my shoulder a couple of times, making sure I didn't see any unfamiliar cars.

I open the unlocked front door, my palms sweating. I shut it slowly behind me.

"Mom? Dad?" I yell out into the house, my voice echoing off the walls. After a few moments of silence I dial my mom's number up. After a few rings she answers.

"Mom, where are you?" My voice panicky.

"Honey, I had to run to the grocery store. I'll be back in a half hour. Your dad is running some errands as well." She explains.

"Mom, you can't leave me alone! All it took last time was twenty minutes for Mike to kidnap me." My throat tightens up and you can hear in it my voice. My mom sighs.

"Jacklyn, I really think you'll be fine. Go grab some coffee if you're that scared to be home alone." I glare at my phone and hang up. Not a half bad idea though.

I sprint upstairs and change my sweats into something a bit more summery.

Scared that I might open the door to my kidnappers, I check the peephole and I want to scream when I see Mike and his two friends waiting outside the door for me. How do they always know when I'm home alone?

I quickly and silently back up from the door, whipping out my phone and dialing 911 again. I'm by the backdoor when I push the call button and wait for someone to answer.

"911 what's your emergency?" The operator asks.

"Please help me, my kidnappers are at my front door." I whisper into the phone, jumping a foot up in the air when there's a loud knock at the door.

"Okay ma'am, tell me where you are in the house." The operators voice is deep and calm.

I suck in a shaky breath. "I'm by my backdoor, I'm going to try and leave the house." I unlock the backdoor and silently pull it open, stepping out onto my porch. I shut it behind me. "I'm outside now."