Chapter Ten

Jacklyn

I could use the metal lamp to break the window. I stand up, rummaging through the nightstand drawers. My eyes widen when a see a sizable white rock, probably used for decoration at some point. I pick it up, careful to make sure the camera wouldn't see, and weigh it in my hand. This could definitely break a window.

So should I use the lamp to disarm the camera?

I walk over to the lamp and press myself against the wall it's attached to, happy when it can't see me. I remember the length of the lamp and raise my arm up as far as I could. I could reach the camera with the lamp so long as I stood on my tippy toes.

When should I do it?

There's a knock on the door and I jump a foot into the air.

"I'm only telling you this so you won't even think about escaping, but I'm going to be out of the house for a half hour." Mike's voice says through the door, and he doesn't wait for a reply before turning and walking away.

I walk to the window, waiting for a few moments and watching Mike's black Lamborghini pull out of the long driveway. The house is gated, and I don't think I would be able to squeeze through the bars. I survey the landscape, and notice large trees by the side of the house. Climbable trees.

If I could sprint to one of those trees and wait until I shake Mike's men off of my trail, I could leave successfully. I look down. There's a roof below my window, and I'm willing to risk death by jumping off of it.

I have to act now, I don't have much time. I find folded wooden chair under the bed, so I unfold it and jam it underneath the doorknob to buy myself a few more seconds. I pull out the rock and place it on the windowsill, and unplug the lamp. I walk up to the camera, and pressing myself against the wall and standing on my tiptoes, I hit the camera as hard as I can with the bottom of the lamp. The green light on it goes out and it dangles off the corner of the wall.

I run to the window, pick up the rock, and throw it as hard as I can. It shatters, but a lot of the glass is still intact. Using the bottom of the lamp, I hit the rest of it off, dropping the lamp and eagerly climbing out of the window. I hear footsteps outside my door. I carefully step over the glass on the roof and rush to the edge. It's about an eight foot drop.

I sit on the roof, my legs dangling over the edge. I brace myself, and drop myself off the edge.

My body hits the ground with a dull thud, and my head is spinning as I force myself up. The trees are closer than I had initially thought, so I pick the biggest one and start to climb as fast as I could, my limbs feeling like lead. I climb to the top of the tree, relieved that the tree branches and leaves conceal me. My heart is racing and my body is shaking as the front door of the large house is slammed open, ten men filing out of it. They're holding guns and they're dressed in all black. My stomach tightens as I listen to their angry and fearful yells.

Why are they scared?

Oh, because I got out under their supervision. Mike is gonna kill them.

Good, they deserve it.

I hold my breath as two men walk past my tree and into the backyard. I peer through the small cracks that the leaves create, and watch as the men search the entire yard, not bothering to check the trees. The biggest one of them all is on the phone, looking worried.

Five minutes later and the gates open, Mike's car speeding inside. Stopping his car halfway up the driveway, he swings his door open and gets out, looking furious.

"I'm gone for twenty minutes and she fucking escapes? How do you manage to fuck that up?" He screams, and the ten men stand in front of him, their backs straight as boards.