Explaining The Ending

****2024 edit****
If you made to the end of the story, I would just like to add this disclaimer. I was 16 when I wrote this, and was/still am not a writer by any means. Just something to think about :)
********

Thank you for reading my story! I've been on Wattpad for five years but created another account to secure my anonymity. Maybe someday I'll reveal who I am 😂

Anyways, I know many many many people hated the ending or just didn't understand it at all. So here's the explanation:

In chapter ten she escapes and at the end of chapter ten police officers hurry to the scene due to concerned phone calls that had heard Jacklyn's screams. When the police officers get there they shoot Mike (because he was strangling Jacklyn) and quickly approach Jacklyn, asking her if she's alright and realizing she is the missing teen that everyone has been looking for.

You have to remember that Jacklyn's injuries are quite extensive, hitting her head multiple times, her feet are completely torn up from running barefoot, being kicked/punched/strangled by Mike, etc. So these injuries lead to Jacklyn slipping into a coma as the ambulance takes her to the hospital at the end of chapter ten.

Chapters 11-16 are merely Jacklyn's dreams while she is in the coma. At the end of Chapter 16 she dies from her injuries, thus ending her dreams that took place in 11-16.

The ending was meant to be a sad, a tad confusing, and somewhat of a big plot twist. Many people hated the ending, but I wanted it to be sad because not every story has a happy ending as all of you may know.

Thank you again for reading my story. I never anticipated it getting this much attention.

Let me know if the ending makes more sense!