Chapter 27: Back Home

"I see..."

A lady sitting in the previous Hokage's place said to Kurenai after hearing her full report on the mission. She was blonde with an enormous chest. Riko was told by Kurenai that the lady was called Tsunade and that she was chosen as the Fifth Hokage.

Kurenai had told her about how their investigation led to a group of criminals who called themselves Kijin.

"And you're saying that their target is now Riko."

"Yes, Tsunade-sama."

Kurenai answered the Hokage. Riko was asked to be there for the mission report. Lady Tsunade deemed it necessary for her to listen to everything and to understand the situation she as in.

"According to what they said, they hunt down demons and kill them with a weapon."

Kurenai continued with her report.

"Do you know for what purpose?"

Tsunade asked.

"The only thing I heard is that the weapon apparently absorbs part of the slain demon. It doesn't seem like it was their first time doing that."

"From what you've told me, it appears that they're actually quite experienced in this whole process."

"Riko's not safe as long as they're out there..."

Lady Tsunade sighed.

"I know how you feel, Kurenai, but we can't go blindly after them. We don't fully know what they're capable of. However, there's no denying that they're strong enough to take down a full team of Jounin and Chunin. We cannot take them lightly."

Kurenai clenched her fists in silent frustration. She wasn't angry at the Hokage, but at herself for not being strong enough to protect Riko.

"As for you, Riko-chan..."

Lady Tsunade looked at Riko with a smile.

"I've been told about your accomplishments at the hospital. The things you've done are very impressive, indeed. If you don't mind, I'd like to work with you sometimes."

Riko gave a shy smile and nodded slowly.

After their meeting with the Hokage was done, Kurenai and Riko went back home. Riko just sat on the couch, looking blankly at nothing in particular.

"Is something bothering you, Riko?"

Kurenai's voice seemed to snap her out of her dazed mood. Riko shook her head slowly.

"Are you sure?"

Riko nodded. Kurenai then went and sat next to her.

"Do you miss Gaara?"

After a moment of silence, Riko nodded. After the incident, she didn't get the chance to spend any time with him, since she spent only enough time there for Kurenai and her team to recover. Needless to say, it only lasted a day, and Riko had spent it with her adoptive mother. She wished she could've had more time with Gaara. She missed him so much.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll see him again soon."

That night, Riko couldn't sleep. She had so many things going through her mind. Kijin, Gaara, their threat to hurt those close to her... All of these things scared her. She knew that she would never forgive herself if they hurt Gaara because of her. She already felt horrible about what had happened to Kurenai. She didn't want that to ever happen again. Riko then took her notebook in which she had been writing down her feelings and the events that happened to and around her. She wrote down her thoughts and worries, not leaving out a single detail of what had happened. This helped her relax a bit, and she was able to get a few hours of sleep.

The next day, her duties at the hospital resumed as usual. Nobody was told about what Kijin, except for the ones who were involved in that situation. Riko didn't want anyone to know about it either, since it might put their lives in danger too. She tried to act normal at the hospital, but Tsubomi sensed that something was wrong.

"Riko-san, is something wrong?"

Riko tried to smile and shook her head.

"Come on, you can't fool me. We're both girls so I can tell that something is bugging you right now. Is it a boy?"

Tsubomi gave Riko a teasing smile. Riko's face immediately changed into a bright red colour at the question.

"It is a boy! Who is it? Do I know him?"

"Ah...!"

Riko tried to deny it, but Tsubomi was dead set on knowing who it was and why Riko looked so upset. Riko motioned to her that she'll talk during their break.

"Alright, it's a promise then."

Riko sighed, but smiled genuinely. It was nice to interact with another girl who didn't have too big of an age difference.

During their break, Riko told Tsubomi everything about Gaara. She told her how he was someone who just needed to be loved and how he deeply cared for her. She omitted the part about Kijin, only telling Tsubomi that the reason why she was feeling so downcast was because she simply missed him. Of course, Tsubomi bought it as the only reason why Riko was a bit under the weather.

"But man, I can't believe you already found someone you care about so much. It makes me feel like I've been missing out."

Riko started writing down on a paper.

You don't have anyone you like?

"Not really... I'm just so busy with my work here at the hospital. that the only guy my age that I've been around lately is Hachiro."

Riko giggled.

You don't want to get to know him more?

"Huh? No way! He's too... unrefined for my taste. I mean, he's a nice guy, but... I don't know! Don't ask me such weird questions out of nowhere!"

The girls laughed together for a bit until the man in question came to greet them.

"You girls seem to be having fun. What did I miss?"

"Nothing! Nothing at all!"

Tsubomi quickly answered. This kind of surprised Hachiro who was a bit confused at the whole situation. It didn't help that Riko was practically dying of laughter. The three of them spent the rest of their break together.

At the end of the day, Riko said goodbye to her colleagues and headed back home.