Chapter 30: The Fifth Sound Ninja

Kidomaru had enveloped Neji completely in his webs. He then forged spiked weapons with the same substance he used as webs and hardened it.

He then threw it at Naruto, aiming to kill him. Without thinking, Riko came out and stood in the way, reflecting the weapon with an invisible wall. Neji had just gotten out of the cocoon of webs using his gentle fist, but didn't react fast enough to intercept the weapon before Riko.

"What...?! Where did that brat come from?"

Kidomaru then noticed that she was floating. He realized that she was no ordinary brat. Neji seized that opportunity to free everyone from the webs.

Riko was angry. She was angry at Kidomaru for trying to kill Naruto, one of her closest friends. Her anger was like a budding fire within her getting more and more violent. Before she noticed, her anger manifested itself in actual flames that engulfed Kidomaru so suddenly that nobody had a chance to react. He then started screaming in agony as the flames continued to rage on. These were no ordinary flames; they were the colour of crimson and only consumed Kidomaru. Nothing else of the his surroundings were affected. And a few seconds later, there was nothing left but his ashes, swept away by the breeze.

Riko had floated down on a tree branch, her legs giving out under her as she was shaking like a leaf from both fear and horror. The others were astonished by what they had just witnessed, petrified, not knowing how to respond. Naruto was the first to snap out of his stupor and jump next to Riko, putting a hand on her shoulder. She turned her head towards him, her face flooded with tears.

"Riko-chan... It's not your fault. You were just protecting us."

Shikamaru, Neji, Choji, and Kiba all came closer to them as well.

"Yeah, we're all grateful to you. If anything, your actions might've given us more of a chance to catch up to the others. Which means, a better chance to get Sasuke back."

Shikamaru added. Riko then wiped her tears with her sleeves and nodded slowly. With Naruto's help, she got up and they resumed the chase.

The two remaining sound ninja had not gotten far. When they sensed that their pursuers were getting closer, they turned around to face them.

"What were those idiots Jirobo and Kidomaru doing? These kids don't even look beaten up!"

The woman, Tayuya, mumbled.

"Yeah, yeah! I'll kill them all myself!"

Sakon charged at the group. They all jumped out of the way. However, Riko's reaction time was not fast enough and she was hit by a myriad of punches from Sakon.

"Riko-chan!"

Naruto screamed out her name. Riko was sent flying into a tree, losing consciousness at the impact. She fell down on a branch, her mouth dripping with blood. Sakon then decided to finish her up. Before he could reach her, however, Choji had expanded his arm with his partial expansion jutsu, just in time to grab her and take her out of the way. Naruto then carried her on his back, determined to protect her from any further harm.

"We're way outnumbered, Sakon! There isn't enough time!"

Tayuya, who was carrying the coffin Sasuke was enclosed in, shouted at the other sound ninja.

"One of em is down. We just need to keep at it!"

However, Shikamaru had already set his plan in motion. He caught Tayuya in his Shadow Possession technique, positioning her in Sakon's way who was charging at full speed towards Naruto.

"Tayuya! Get out of the way!"

"I... can't!"

Both of them crashed into each other, causing Tayuya to let go of the casket. Neji then caught it and landed next to Naruto who was still carrying Riko.

"Go! Take Sasuke and go!"

Shikamaru shouted at them.

"I won't let you get away!"

Sakon, who had immediately recovered, propelled himself at high speed towards Neji and Naruto who were running away. He was covered in a spotted pattern, which came from his curse mark. Kiba went after him, while Choji and Shikamaru were busy keeping Tayuya away.

Riko had regained consciousness. The first thing she saw was Kiba hitting Sakon with a Fang over Fang, causing both of them to fall down through a deep pit in the ground. Her heart sunk as she feared for her friend's life.

"Kiba!"

Naruto shouted.

"I'll go after him! Can you carry Sasuke too, Naruto?"

Naruto nodded at Neji. The latter then immediately jumped down as well. Just as Naruto was about to make a shadow clone to carry Sasuke as well, a shadow of a shinobi appeared on top of the coffin, taking it away as swiftly and quickly as he appeared. Tayuya looked just shocked at the sudden apparition as the Konohagakure shinobi.

"Kimimaro? What are you doing here?!"

The man named Kimimaro jumped on one of the higher branches, away from everyone's reach.

"You're too late, Tayuya."

His voice was cold and emotionless. It sent chills down everyone's spines.

"Also, where are the other three?"

Tayuya seemed on edge around the newcomer.

"Why... Why are you...? Your body is no longer...!"

"I'm not using my body anymore. This is the power of my will."

He then put a hand on the casket containing Sasuke.

"This is an important vessel for Orochimaru-sama's dream. But you were too late."

Naruto, giving away to his anger, jumped towards Kimimaro, with Riko hanging on to his back.

"Hey you! Quit babbling senseless things! Give back Sasuke!"

"Naruto! Wait!"

Shikamaru screamed at him. Tayuya was about to punch Naruto to keep him away from the container that held Sasuke, but Riko reacted fast enough, blocking Tayuya's punch with an invisible wall.

"Wha-?!"

Tayuya immediately jumped back. Kimimaro, witnessing what had happened, took the container and jumped away, deciding it was wiser to get the job done himself.

When the realization dawned on Naruto that Kimimaro was leaving with Sasuke, he quickly followed him with Riko still on his back. Riko then closed her eyes and focused her energy on Naruto, making him start floating through the air, just like how she was able to do that too.

"W-What? I'm flying! Did you do that, Riko-chan?"

She slowly nodded. He smiled.

"Now we'll be able to catch up for sure."

Naruto floated through the trees, guided by Riko's power. Kimimaro was within their sight after they had travelled a short distance. Riko then concentrated on her feelings of not wanting Kimimaro to get away with Sasuke. This caused him to be sucked in towards them, slowing him down and bringing him closer.

Kimimaro, confused by what was happening, looked behind him.

"What is happening? How are you doing this?"

Kimimaro's face remained expressionless, even though he was very surprised. Just as he was almost within reach, Riko's head started pounding from the previous hit that she had suffered, making her lose focus. This caused Kimimaro to be released, and Naruto to fall down from his levitation. Luckily, thanks to his fast reflexes, Naruto was able to land on a tree branch and continue his pursuit, now being much closer to Kimimaro.

"We've got him now!"