Chapter 31: Long Awaited Reunion

Naruto kept pursuing Kimimaro with Riko on his back. As soon as they had made it past the forest and into a clearing, Kimimaro stopped in his tracks and faced them, having put down Sasuke's coffin next to him. He then stood in an offensive stance in between Naruto and the coffin, blocking Naruto's way.

"You will not proceed any further. The rebirth is almost complete."

Kimimaro said in his emotionless tone. Naruto put Riko down, giving her a reassuring smile.

"Wait for me here, I'll take care of that bastard and get Sasuke back."

She nodded and got out of the way, hiding behind a tree, as to not be a burden during the fight. She then watched as the fight unfolded. Naruto started off with some of his Shadow Clones had them all attack Kimimaro. Riko then witnessed something odd, even grotesque that Kimimaro did. From his skin, bones came out and were used to slash through Naruto's clones at incredible speed.

No matter how many clones Naruto threw at him, he easily slashed through them. Riko then noticed a dark aura emanating from the coffin that Sasuke was sealed in. The lid then opened and Sasuke emerged from it.

"Sasuke!"

Naruto had also seen what had happened and had called out Sasuke's name. He, however, didn't respond and jumped away, running on ahead. When Naruto tried to chase him, Kimimaro tried to block his way. Riko had anticipated that, and was able to block his way with an invisible wall. As soon as he felt himself coming in contact with the invisible wall, Kimimaro jumped away thanks to his fast reflexes, avoiding a painful crash. This allowed Naruto to keep going on ahead.

Kimimaro frowned and turned his head towards the one responsible. He was certain that it was that weird girl that was hiding behind the tree. He knew that he had to get rid of her before he could proceed. Without wasting any time, he charged at her.

Riko, seeing Kimimaro approaching so fast, panicked. She had never fought before. She usually just stayed on the side lines and helped from a distance. She couldn't think straight, which was what she needed to be able to use any of her powers.

"Aaah!"

She screamed in fear and closed her eyes while crouching on the floor.

"Leaf hurricane!"

Hearing the familiar voice, she opened her teary eyes to find Rock Lee landing a powerful kick on Kimimaro. He then stood, his back to Riko and facing Kimimaro, between her and Kimimaro.

"Riko-san! Are you alright?"

Lee turned his head to Riko to see her nodding at him, with eyes still filled with tears.

"Shikamaru said that it would be wise to have someone help you and Naruto out, so I volunteered to come. You do not need to worry anymore. I will protect you with my life."

Riko whimpered and nodded, relieved to have Lee protecting her. She pulled herself together and focused on trying to help him from the sidelines.

Lee charged at his opponent, only to be easily dodged. Kimimaro didn't want to waste time on another nuisance. He needed to get rid of the girl who was blocking his way.

Riko couldn't follow his movements, since he was much faster than her. Her reaction time was much slower than that of a veteran ninja. She was however able to float up just in time to avoid a fatal blow from Kimimaro's spear-like bone that was pointed towards her. Even though she avoided a fatal injury, Kimimaro was able to pierce through her thigh, sending piercing waves of pain through her whole body.

"Hah...! Aaah...!"

She was wheezing and screaming in pain as tears flowed uncontrollably down her cheeks.