Chapter 28: Runaway

Days, weeks, months went by. Riko was assigned on quite a few missions. She didn't really have time to do anything else. There was no time at all for her to even think about going to see Gaara again. She knew that he also was probably in the same position. If it wasn't the missions keeping her busy, it was her work at the hospital.

One day, she had been working until quite late in the night. On her way home, she decided to take a shortcut. While she was walking in one of the backstreets, she heard a familiar voice. She got closer to the main road and peeked to see who it was. It was as she had thought. Sakura was there. That was the voice she had recognized. She was now unconscious in Sasuke's arms, however. Before Riko could process what happened, Sasuke put Sakura down on a nearby bench and left her there.

Riko immediately came out and ran up to Sakura's unconscious body. She couldn't just leave her there. She looked around, trying to find Sasuke, but he was completely gone. Riko then used her abilities to make Sakura float, making her lighter to carry. She then brought her back to her place, bringing her through the window, making sure not to disturb anyone. After making sure Sakura was alright, Riko headed home.

She woke up early the next day, planning on heading to the hospital. As soon as she got out of the door, she was intercepted by Naruto.

"Riko-chan!"

He seemed very frantic.

"Sasuke's gone!"

Riko's eyes widened. She realized what had happened the day before. She did notice that Sasuke was acting strange lately. However, she barely saw him, so she thought it was just her imagination. But her suspicions were right. Sakura was actually trying to stop Sasuke the night before.

"I've been assigned to the retrieval mission and I need members. Can you come with me? I'll need as much help as I can."

Without thinking more about the situation, Riko nodded. She knew that this was more important than anything else.

"Great! I knew I could count on you. Meet up at the village gates when you're done getting ready."

She went back inside to gather a few emergency supplies while Naruto went on his way to gather more members. Riko left a note for Kurenai who was still sleeping, since she came back pretty late the night before from her mission.

When Riko arrived at the gates, she was the first there. Not long after, Neji and Lee joined her. Lee waved at her.

"Riko-san! You will be joining us for Sasuke's retrieval as well?"

Riko nodded and smiled. Lee was as energetic as ever. It was as if he was never injured to begin with.

"It will be very useful to have a skilled medic come with us."

Neji said. Right after, Kiba came running to the gates to join the group. Choji and Shikamaru were the last to arrive along with Naruto.

"Alright! Let's go!"

Naruto shouted.

"Wait up. I'm the leader here, since I'm the only Chunin."

Shikamaru half said half yawned. Naruto pouted and puffed his cheeks.

"We need to travel in a certain formation that'll make our pursuit effective. We will proceed in a single line formation. First things first: Kiba will be in the most crucial position of forward scout."

He then fixes Kiba in the eyes.

"You're always traveling all year throughout the nation of fire, and you know our terrain very well. Also, you've got a keen sense of smell. It'll make it easier to track Sasuke if you're first in line. This also means that it's easier to detect booby traps from the enemies' scent. Second will be me, the squad leader. I can give orders according to the situation behind Kiba, and anyone behind me can see my hand signals. Third is Naruto. You've got quick reactions, so it's best to keep you in a position where you can assist both front and back. You'll be the cover and assistance, especially since you've got your shadow clones. Fourth will be Riko. Since she's essentially the medic of our squad, we need to have her in the most secure position. The enemy would have to deal with everyone else before they can even get to her. Fifth will be Lee. Lee has just as much, if not quicker reactions than Naruto. Having him there will give him access to both the action in the back and the front. Fourth will be Choji. You don't have the speed but you've got the most hit power in our squad. Me, Kiba, Naruto, and Lee will create openings, and you will charge in to finish the game. Basically, you're the striker. Lastly, I'll place Neji on the squad's tail. I'll let you handle the most difficult task of rear scout. With your Byakugan, you can always check for the squad's blindspots."

Riko was impressed with Shikamaru's analytical abilities. He just figured out who was going to be on the squad and he's already thought so far ahead about how everyone could be useful to the mission. Shikamaru then further explained with a drawing, showing the others how this formation covered the widest area of sight, leaving little to no blindspots. He then asked everyone to show their weapons and what they were carrying along with them. He checked everyone in a little less than three minutes.

"Any questions?"

He asked them. Everyone, including Riko, shook their head.

"Well, if you've got nothing to say, I guess I'll finish up with the most important thing."

Riko cocked her head to the side, wondering what else Shikamaru had to say.

"Sasuke's not a very close friend of mine, nor is he someone important. However, he is a fellow shinobi from Konohagakure, just like you and me. He's our comrade! This is why we'll risk our lives for him. This is the way of the Leaf. Even someone like me can't goof off on something like this. I'm responsible for all of your lives."

Riko smiled, sensing the maturity coming from Shikamaru.

"Hah, now you're starting to look like you deserve that Chunin title."

Kiba said and smirked.

"Alright! Let's go!"

Naruto shouted once more. Just as everyone turned their back to Konoha to start on their way, someone stopped them.

"Wait!"

They turned around to see Sakura. Naruto looked the most surprised of all of them.

"Sakura-chan!"

He exclaimed. Shikamaru then looked at her.

"I heard the story from the Hokage. Sorry, but I can't take you to the mission. Even you couldn't convince Sasuke, right?"

Naruto's eyes widened. Shikamaru continued.

"Seems like we gotta force him to understand. Sakura, your job is done."

Sakura looked down, her eyes tearing up.

"What...? Sakura-chan, you already met up with Sasuke?!"

Riko realized that Naruto didn't know about what had happened the night before. She thought it was Sakura who had told him about Sasuke leaving, but it seemed like he found out from the Hokage. Tears started flowing down Sakura's cheeks.

"Naruto, I beg you. Please... Please bring Sasuke back... I couldn't do it... I couldn't stop him! The only person who can probably save Sasuke-kun now is you, Naruto... Only you..."

Naruto looked to the side then smiled at Sakura.

"Sakura-chan, you really like Sasuke, huh? I know how much pain you're in because of Sasuke. I can understand."

Riko clenched her fists and bit her lower lip. She felt bad for both Sakura and Naruto. She knew that, even though Naruto wasn't showing it, he was in even more pain than Sakura. Sakura sobbed harder.

"Naruto... Thank you."

Naruto then smiled widely and gave her a thumbs up.

"Don't worry! I'll bring him back! Promise of a lifetime!"