Chapter 4: Kevin

On my way home I stop to look at Edd's house, he hadn't been to school since David harassed him for being gay. I was actually kind of happy to hear the Edd might be gay until I saw how people treated him because of it. I just can't imagine what would happen if people found out about me.

I notice an old car in the driveway of my house.

Dad must be home.

I take a deep breath and enter my house. My Dad is sitting in his recliner, dinking a beer and watching football.

"Kevin!" He slurs my name. I walk over to him. "Your school counselor called me a few weeks ago and said you had no plans for college. Is that true?"

"Yeah, I'm still working on it." I wince at the smell of his breath.

"Well, you should just give up now. No college wants a brain dead athlete with no talent."

I feel my face begin to flush with anger.

"Oh!" He exclaims. "Have I struck a nerve?" He spits out the words and I tighten my hands into a fist. "Are you angry?" he walks over and gives me a little push. "Come on Kevin, you're angry right? Hit me."

I keep my fist glued to my sides. The last thing I want to do is stoop to his level but, my blood is at a boil.

He continues to push me. "God, you are such a pussy, just like your Mom. She never had the guts to fight for herself either, that's why she's six feet under."

I feel something snap and before I can stop myself I feel my fist come into contact with my Dad's cheek. "DON'T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT MOM, YOU SADISTIC BASTARD!"

In a matter of minutes my dad and I are beating each other to a pulp. I push my Dad into the kitchen counter he grabs a dirty pan from the sink and attempts to throw it at me. His drunken state is obviously making this fight hard for him. The pan crashes into the wall and he tackles me knocking us both into the old box TV.

After a good thirty minutes of fighting I hear the sounds of sirens approaching the cul-de-sac.

"Shit," My Dad says between breaths. "Some dumb-shit neighbor must've called the cops." He begins the get up but abruptly falls back down. A knock at our door indicates the cops arrival.

"This is the police, I got a noise complaint they said they heard yelling."

I sat for a moment in disbelief. What would happen if they saw us like this, bloody and bruised. Would I go to jail for beating up my Dad or would he go to jail for beating his kid? I stood. I never wanted my Dad to leave me, he was the only parent I had left but, in that moment, and during that fight, I could feel the hatred we shared for each other radiating off our bodies. Our hatred back every punch, every curse. I looked at my Dad, he was sitting on the floor holding his head in his bloodied hands. I placed my hand on the door knob and knew if I opened up this door, if I told somebody about what happened when it was closed, I would never see my Dad again. I took a deep breath.

This has to stop.

I opened the door. 

"Good God son!" The cop looked at me in shock "Are you okay?"

I shook my head no and looked back at my Dad one more time before I explained everything that happened to the cop.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Okay, i know there hasn't been a whole lot of Kevedd yet but, It's coming in the next few chapters ;)