Chapter 9: Edd

Free time is my least favorite time of the day. I enjoy the structure of the psych ward but, hours of free time feel very unproductive to me. Instead of wasting the two hours doing a puzzle or playing Rummy I go to my room to do some studying.

I hear the shower running and realize, before even grabbing my SAT practice book, that I will not be getting any studying done. I attempt to stop myself but, I can't help but to think of Kevin. I decide now is a fine time for me to have a panic attack. I worry about what Kevin thinks, will he make fun of me? Is he comfortable sharing a room with me? Afterall, he knows I'm gay. Maybe I should ask Aaron to let me switch rooms. Quickly, I knock that idea out of my head, the chance of being close to Kevin is too tempting.

I hear the shower water turn off. My heart begins thump. Any minute now Kevin will walk out of the bathroom, see me, maybe stay awhile and talk. I lift my book and hope it hides my slightly flushed face.

"You study even in the nuthouse, should've known." I lower my book, Kevin is leaning against one of the cubbies.He only has the maroon bottoms on and a towel around his neck.

How on earth am I going to focus on bettering myself with him around?

"Well of course! Studying is the key to success in school." I try and keep a steady voice but I hear it shake slightly.

Apparently, Kevin catches my uneasiness. "What's wrong Double D? I'm a making you nervous?" he smirks.

I can't seem to get a read on him. Just before dinner he seemed shy and nervous. It was a side of him i'd never seen before but, now he is back to the Kevin I know in school. I put my guard up and prepare for possible verbal abuse. He inches closer. "Don't be." I see the school Kevin melt away. He takes a sigh and sits on his bed across from mine. "I'm not gonna harass you or whatever."

I cock my head to the side in confusion. "Why? Why are you nice to me? Why are you not disgusted by me?" I feel a little lump begin to form in the back of my throat.

Why do I care? Why am I asking him this?

Kevin lays down and puts his hands behind his head. "No, i'm not disgusted by you because, I don't know." He covers his face. "Because I'm the same."  

"Kevin, I don't know what you mean by that." I face my body towards him and cross my legs.

"I mean I'm  gay too!" Kevin sits up aggressively and I put my book up to cover my face. "Oh God, sorry Double D, I didn't mean to scare you." he reaches over and lowers the book. "Don't be scared of me, okay?" His tone of voice is warm and a small half smile slides across his face. I feel my face flush instantly.

"I-I have to go get Goldfish!" I say before running out of the room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! I finally made a new chapter!! I have a whole week off for Thanksgiving break so I'm gonna try and write some more chapters and again, I'm so sorry about the wait. I'm really busy but, I haven't given up on this story!!! :)))