Chapter 6: Edd

*Three days before Kevin's fight with his dad*

When I wake up I am confused. A light blinds my freshly opened eyes. I cringe and turn my head to the left. My Mom is sleeping with her head on my Dad's shoulder. I try to speak but can only make a scratchy croak that causes me to wince. A doctor comes in followed closely by a male nurse in orange and red scrubs.

"Ah, Good morning Edd." He says. "Patrick, please give Eddward a water sponge." Patrick walks over to me holding a small sponge attached to a stick and soaked in water. I open my dry mouth and the water heals it.

"M-may I have more, please." My voice is still cracked and I hardly recognize it. The doctor nods his head no.

"We have used activated Charcoal to clean out your system, too much water will cause you to throw up the charcoal and obviously you need it to fight off the effects of the sleeping medication." I nod sadly and try to not pay attention to the dryness of my mouth.

"Edd! Honey." My Mom and Dad are awake now and standing by my side.

"Oh, h-hello Mother and Father. How was work? You're back quite ea-"

My Dad cuts me off. "Don't talk to much, you'll strain your voice." I nod.

. The doctor comes up to my bed. "I need to do a few test. Follow the light wit your eyes please. Okay, good. Now, do you know who you are?"

"I a-am Eddward Vincent."

"Good, do you know what day it is."

"I-I'm not sure, I'm s-sorry."

"That's okay, do you know the year?" He continues to ask me questions and then finally explains what happened. "Alright Edd, three days ago you Over Dosed on your sleeping mediation. Luckily, your parents reseach ended early and they found you before it was too late. We are going to keep in hospital for a few days, just to make sure you completely detox. Later, we will have someone come in to talk about what happened that day and decide what treatment will happen after this.

I nod, I understand he is referring to inpatient treatment at a psych hospital.

"You should rest up a bit. Patrick will stay with you for the next twelve hours so if you need anything at all just ask him. I will be back in a few hours to do another check up." With that the doctor left and Patrick sat in a chair to my right. I turn my head back towards my parents who are still standing above my bed.

"Oh Edd," My mom starts but my Dad quickly stops her.

"We aren't sure what's wrong but, we are going to do everything we can to help." He sets a hand on my head which I am now realizing is not covered. My Mom must notice a sign of distress on my face because she quickly grabs one of my hats out of her purse.

"Here, we figured you might want it when you woke up." I smile and put the hat firmly on my head.

***

Hours pass before anyone comes to my room. Sometime after I woke up my parents went home to get a good night's sleep. Patrick has remained by my side. We haven't spoke much which is nice, I'm not really in the mood to talk just yet.

Patrick and I are in the middle of a Planet Earth documentary when the doctor comes back for another checkup. He says I'm recovering very fast and can now have "Ice Chips" which are really just discs of ice in a cup. Patrick hands me a cup and I happily scoop one into my mouth and allow it to melt on my tongue.

"It's nice?" The doctor asks.

I nod and continued to greedily shove the ice into my mouth.

The doctor continues "You can have a cup every half an hour as long as you don't throw up. The Psychiatrist will be here in the next few minutes."

The doctor was right just five minutes after he walked out an older woman with curly, bleach blonde hair entered the room and introduced herself. She asked me a series of mental health related questions such as: How long have you felt suicidal? and Do you feel hopeless often?

After a good hour of back and forth she closed her notebook and stood up. "Eddward, you are obviously stressed and having a hard time coping with it. We are going to put you into the adolescent psychiatric ward of this hospital for a minimum of a week. It'll be good for you to take some time off from the real world and just focus on yourself. We won't admit you until we have the go from your doctor which probably won't be for a few days."

I nodded, there was nothing left to say, no point in arguing. I would stay in the psych ward until I was no longer a threat to myself and honestly, I wasn't too upset about it. 

----------------------------------

I feel really bad about how long it took me to get this chapter out. I'm also not very proud of this chapter because of how rushed it feels but, I figured I would put it out anyway.  :)