Chapter 10: Edd

As I walk out to the common area I peak into a few different rooms. Most of them are empty. One has a boy with bald head sitting on his bed, talking to a piece of wood.

That must Jhonny. I hardly see him, he must has some type of social anxiety, or delusions.

On the other side of the hallway I see Nazz messing with a drawing she's hung on her all. She turns and spots me looking. "Hey Edd!" She waves a free hand at me. I smile in return.

Everyone else is crowded in the common area. A boy with blue hair and eyebrows that touch in the middle is crying to Aaron about needing to see his goat. Three girls sit at a round table with playing cards in their hands. One with long, blonde hair puts down a card.

"You can't put that one down it's black!" Yells the girl with red, curly hair. I can't possibly understand how she can even see the cards since her big curls cover her eyes. The two begin arguing while the blue haired girl takes a drink from her cup and rolls her eyes.

I pull a small, snack sized pack of goldfish from out of the cabinet and fill a cup with water.

"Hey Edd." I jump at a familiar voice coming from behind me. Nazz begins to laugh "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you that bad."

I turn and face Nazz. She really is a pretty girl. Her eyes are bright, her short, blonde hair is a little messy but it suits her. Her skin is clear and rosy.

"Oh that's quite alright Nazz, I was just getting a snack."

"Mind if I join you?" She grabs a juice box and string cheese out of the mini fridge and we walk over to a table. "So," She begins opening the cheese. "This is your first time in inpatient, right?"

I nod, "umm yes, it's been a very odd day."

"Yeah, the first full day is always the weirdest. I've been to just about every psych ward in the state and you got lucky. This place is easily the best, I've been here three times." She speaks nonchalantly, like she talking about a hotel or store. "Oh, do you like your new roommate?"

I freeze up. "U-um, y-yeah, I actually happen to know know him."

"Oh!" Nazz's face lights up "Do you guys like, go to the same school?"

I nod and for some reason I'm tempted to spill my guts to this girl. I want to tell her about my long time crush on Kevin, I want to tell he that just a minute ago he told me he was gay. I want to tell her but, I don't know her well, or want to overwhelm her.

"You've got something on your mind." She says this as a statement instead of a question. "Wanna talk about it?"

"Oh, it's not important, I wouldn't want to bore you with my petty dilemmas."

She slurps a strand of her string cheese then leans over the table and looks me in the eyes. "Edd, I've been in and out of these places for ages and the way I entertain myself is by listening to other people's problems. In a way I enjoy it, I like giving my two cents." She looks intensely and it's as if she's hypnotized me. Before I can stop myself, I begin to explain everything. I start from when my parents told me they weren't coming home all the way to just ten minutes ago when Kevin admitted to being "the same" as me. I tell her about my crush on him, I tell her that I won't be able to focus on getting better because Kevin is prancing around, shirtless, in our room, staring into me with those piercing, green eyes.

She leans back in her chair, and looks thoughtfully at her cheese. "This is a sticky situation." She sighs "First things first, its very important you do your best to get better but, now is a good time to build a bond with Kevin. Right now, you two are at your most valuable and he obviously trust and relates to you, otherwise he wouldn't have told you about being gay. If you're open to it, creating a friendship won't be hard."

"But I don't want to be his friend." I sigh "I want to be his...his..."

"Boyfriend." Nazz inserts. I nod, shyly. "Well, all good relationships start with a healthy friendship." She says in a sing-song voice.

She's right, now is the perfect time to get to know who the real Kevin Barr is.