Chapter 8: Kevin

I made my way to my bed which was right next to Edd's. He closed his book and turned to face me. He smiled again. "You look shocked, although only a small number of teens end up in a treatment facility, 1 in 5 teens between the ages of 13 and 18 suffer with mental illness." Edd speaks in a matter-of-fact tone. Then quickly adds "And this place isn't too bad."

I smile at him, it's hard not too. "How long have you been here?"

"Only about 20 hours but, you learn quick here." He stands and put his book neatly in a cubbie. "I suspect they'll be calling us down for dinner soon. One unfortunate quality of this hospital is the food, it's hardly edible. On the bright side, they keep goldfish and string cheese in the common area."

"The common area is the big room with all the couches?" I ask. Edd nods and in the distance I hear Aaron going from room to room informing the patients it's time for dinner. He pops his head into our room.

"Hey guys, dinner time." We follow him up to the front desk. Aaron has everyone get into a line in front of the doors i came through just a few minutes ago. He quickly grabs a portable speaker and hands it to Nazz, who is at the front of the line. Nazz then insists that he put on a 90's alternative rock station. The other kids in line nod in agreement or shrugged in neutrality.

We walked in a line to the cafeteria stepping to the beat of Radiohead's Creep. It only takes a minuet for us to get to there.

Parents are sitting at various tables, some even have food with them. I get into line behind the other kids whose parents didn't come or bring them food. I see Edd walk over to a pair of well dressed adults sat on the far end of the cafeteria. Who I assume is his mother hands him a plastic container of food. She looks just like Edd with pale skin, jet black hair and a small frame. His Dad on the other hand is a buff man with dark brown hair and blue eyes.

My attention is pulled away by a woman asking me to hand her my tray. I do and she fills it with a lump of what I assume is lasagna, a pile of green beans, and an apple. I thank her and find an empty table as far away from anyone else as possible. Unfortunately, someone didn't take the hint and sat at my table. I looked up from my tray and saw Nazz sitting across from me.

"The food is awful, eat the apple dump the rest." She took a bite out of her own apple and continued with her mouth full. "I'm Nazz, I saw you in solitary."

"I'm, Kevin." I replied sheepishly.

"Is this your first time? In a psychiatric hospital?" She asks.

I study her before answering. Her arms are covered in cuts. Some new, some old, some big, some small. She scratches the palm of her hand. "Are you gonna answer me or just stare at me like I'm so kind of freakshow attraction?'

"S-sorry, yeah it's my first time." I look back down at my untouched tray.

"Well, you'll get used to it quick."

That's what everyone keeps telling me.

I look up at Nazz. Her face is scrunched and she's smushing her apple core into her lasagna pile. Behind her on the other side of the room Edd is sitting with his back to me. The maroon scrubs make him look even skinnier than he usually does.

I can't help but wonder why is he here? Is this where he's been since I last saw him?

***

After dinner Aaron tells us we have 2 hours of free time I decide to spend the time in my room. There's nothing for me to do in here but sleep or shower. I choose the shower.

I walk down to the front desk to get a new pair of scrubs and a towel then, start my shower. It's nice to just clear my mind and let the water hit my back. The relaxation doesn't last long because I begin thinking about Edd. The thought of sleeping in the same room as him, spending a week with him, this would be a dream if we weren't both crazy. 

___________________

It's very late but Wow another chapter! I know Kevin and Edd haven't interacted much yet but its coming so don't worry your pretty little heads :)))))