06

"Hi, I'm Tate

"Hi, I'm Tate." Little did I know those words were the beginning to something dark and beautiful.

The boys have been here for about an hour now. Tate working in the weeds, pulling them up and spraying them. Micheal and I have been outside under the gazebo, him playing with his toy trucks and I not so subtly staring at his father. I have a moment of panic when Tate stands up and heads toward us, slowly sauntering. I quickly start up a conversation with Micheal.

"Micheal are you excited to start preschool soon?"

"I don't know," he mutters quietly.

"Why is that?" I ask.

"Well when Nana brings me to park not a lot kids play with me," he explains.

"And why don't they play with you?" I wonder.

He mumbles something that I don't hear. I ask him to repeat it and what he says breaks my heart.

"They say I'm weird."

"Micheal," he looks at me with pure and innocent blue eyes, "Those little kids do not know what they're talking about, you are wonderful and awesome and someone who says otherwise can't see how awesome you are because they're plain and boring."

"Really," he gives me puppy dog eyes and I instantly melt.

"Of course," I confirm.

After that the conversation flows easily, we talk about our favorite animals and colors, we even brush upon the topic of ghosts. Little did I notice Tate turn back and get back to work. After about an hour Em calls them in for lemonade and Micheal runs in to grab a glass. Tate and I walk side by side at more leisurely pace.

"Micheal really likes you," he comments.

"How'd you know?" I question.

"He let you play with his trucks," he explains, "Not even my mother can touch his trucks."

"Well that means a lot, he's a cute kid. Like his father," I sort of flirt.

He smirks,"You think I'm cute?"

"Oh don't flatter yourself," I sarcastically reply.

Before the conversation can ensue I'm taking large gulps of lemonade. Tate and Em engage in conversation occasionally Micheal joins in and I'm left alone to my thoughts. Tate's a little odd if I do say so myself, don't get me wrong he is really handsome, but a get a vibe from him I can't quite put my finger on. There's a look in his eyes I can't determine, it's like a shine always full with some kind of extreme emotion and a cold indifference.

"What do you say Andy?" Em asks.

To show that I was listening, even though I wasn't, I nodded my head and smiled.

"You sure it's okay not a lot of people would do this for someone they just met?" Tate asks and looks at me with those eyes.

I heave a quiet sigh and get lost in those eyes for a moment, I snap back into reality and scold myself for acting like a lovesick puppy,"I wouldn't mind at all."