Chapter Nine

Oliver and Kara find William, but does Prometheus get the better of them?

Not much longer to go, guys! Here's chapter nine!

***

Kara had never been more relieved for having x-ray vision. As she took off out of the monastery, she could see Chase sprinting in the direction Black Siren had told her about. That meant she had someone to follow.

She increased her speed, flying over Chase, making sure he didn't see her, before flying as fast as she could to the end of the island. She spotted the boat immediately and landed with a light tap, using her x-ray vision. She found the huddled form of a human being immediately. She hurried over to the door by the wheel and opened it, looking inside. There, curled up against the wall, was a boy looking up at her with wide eyes. "William?" she asked quietly. When he huddled more against the wall, Kara held her hands up. "I'm unarmed," she told him, stepping forward softly. "I'm here to get you off this boat. I'm going to get you back to your mother."

William peered up at that. "Who are you?" he whispered.

Kara smiled. "I'm the girl the bad guys should run from." She crouched in front of him. "I met your mother," she revealed, and William's eyes widened. "She's safe, and I'm going to get you back to her." She held out her hand. "Just come with me, OK? I'll get you to her, and I'll get you to your father, too. He's on his way. Let's go meet him."

William slowly moved forward, then the boat jerked. Kara wobbled, crashing forward, and William scurried backwards. "Oh, no," she whispered, holding her arms out to William. Startled, he moved right to her, Kara wrapping her arms protectively around him and bracing herself.

Chase had arrived, and Oliver was more than likely right behind him.

***

"Where is William?" Oliver demanded as he thrust Chase against the boat, the boat roaring across the water.

"You really love that kid, don't you?" Chase chuckled.

"Adrian!" Oliver roared, tossing him away.

Chase crashed against the wheel of the boat, swerving it. Oliver smashed into the side of the boat, then he heard Kara's voice in his ear. "Oliver, I promise, he's with me. Just keep Chase distracted. I can handle him."

Oliver closed his eyes in relief, then they snapped open when Chase snickered. "For an absentee father, your devotion is impressive." He turned to Oliver. "You're worried about your kid when everyone else that you care about's on an island about to get blown up sky high."

"My friends and my team can take care of themselves," Oliver sneered, hand raised to draw an arrow.

"By using my plane to escape, right?" Chase smirked.

***

"I can't start the engine," John said as he and Malcolm ran up to the others.

"There's definitely something wrong," Malcolm nodded.

"With the plane or the pilots?" Dinah asked, then looked at the others. "No offense."

"None taken," they said at the same time before giving each other dirty looks.

"Look, I'm no ace, but I know how to start a plane," John told Dinah. "Whatever this is, it's not pilot error."

"Either way, we're not going anywhere without Oliver or his son," Slade said determinedly.

"Actually, we're not going anywhere," Nyssa walked up to join them, holding a mess of wires and equipment in her hand. "I found this ten feet from the wing."