Author Spotlight: @bloodsword

@parishsp was lucky enough to squeeze some answers out of one of Wattpad's most solid writers--@bloodsword. As the author of RisenRisen: Darklight, @bloodsword creates worlds, and builds stories with the best of them. Enjoy his answers here. 

____________________________________

So, who are you—tell us a little about yourself.

Ah, a little about myself.  That, I can do.  My name is Shawn, a proud Western Canadian that has traveled across the US and Europe, gathering life experience for what I love doing most: writing.  When I'm NOT doing that, I enjoy music, hockey (Canadian ... what do you expect? =)), watching the stars and taking in good movies.

When did you begin writing?

I've been writing since my early teens after a series of sci-fi books left me thinking me and my imagine could do much better.  After I was challenged by a friend to do just that, I started and haven't looked back.

Why SciFi?

I've always been fascinated by technology and the advances we see in it almost every day.  I have a degree in Information Technology, which lends itself well to tech research and I love dreaming about future worlds, peoples and possibilities.

What’s your favorite story you’ve written?

Hard to say. As a writer, Every story I've written I like.

What is your fan’s favorite story you’ve written?

I would say it's a toss up between Risen, a sci-fi/paranormal novel of undead armies fighting an alien invasion, or it's sequel, Risen: Darklight.

Who are some of your influences? Favorite writers?

I've had a number of inspirations, both people and situations.  The first moon walk, Halley's Comet, Steve Jobs, the Hubble Telescope are a few I can name.  Anything that makes me think about the future.  And some of the sci-fi writers I like include Arther C. Clarke, Isaac Asimon, Saberhagen, Heinlein, Andre Norton, Harry Harrison, Philip Jose Farmer, just to name a few.

Where do you find inspiration for your stories?

I find inspiration in everyday heroes, like firefighters, police officers and common citizens thrown into uncommon situations.  Nobility and honor, determination and grit; these characteristics often find their way into my characters.  Things that amaze me and make my eyes go wide with wonder.  =)  These things I find inspiring.

We know some of the big authors, Orson Scott Card or Tolkein for example, incorporate their religion into their work. Are you religious? If so, do you incorporate it into your stories?

I am religious but also realize that my view about religion isn't universally shared.  So while I often give a nod to religion and greater powers than our own, I try not to make them a central theme so All of my readers can enjoy my work.

Others say your first novel is usually autobiographical in nature. Did you find this was the case? Do you ever base characters or situations off real life situations? How do you balance that?

I do, actually.  My first novel was the fantasy epic, The Sons of Ironstorm Chronicles: Griffon's Rise, featuring three characters named after my brothers and I.  Of course, my character wasn't as dorky as I am, nor are my brothers' characters as goofy as they are in real life, but they do share some similarities.  And it dictates a life-long quest to understand oneself which, when I started the story as a teen, I certainly was attempting to do.

Who is your favorite character you’ve written into a story? Why?

I have a handful.  In the sci-fi world, I would say one of my favorite is Max Niekro, the undead juggernaut protagonist in my Risen series.  I also liked the Traveler in one of my short stories, and van Joss, the super operative in Hand Over Fist, a post-apocalyptic piece of sci-fi I wrote.  They epitomize the type of hero I like: gritty, driven, and brainy.

Walk us through your writing process—how does it begin? What do you do when you get stuck? How do you decide when the story is over?

I am an organic writer.  So often I brainstorm to get an idea and once it's in my head, I start writing sans overview or outline.  I like the story to grow of its own accord.  But when I Do get stuck, I will often switch to another story to keep the creative process going and hopefully get a little cross-pollination going to kickstart the original story back up.  And the story is over when I've tied up all my story threads to my satisfaction, . . five pages or five hundred pages later.

(& in the spirit of this month’s theme—Space Opera)

Big worlds, big stories, new creatures—how do you manage it all and make it believable?

Well, having a biology degree helps, actually, in creating believable creatures and biospheres.  Keep things within the realm of the known to create a foundation, then use logic to expand and grow.  Keeping track of various races and storylines means creating viable threads within those stories involving the races and their backstories.  I could spend an entire book on the backstory of some of these creatures.  And, with that backstory in mind, it allows me to keep the characters true to their racial backstory and to the characteristics and behavior they evolved with.

One of the most inviting, and at the same time, most intimidating things about Space Opera is that is so wide-open. How did you get involved in writing this subgenre specifically?

To me, Space Opera is the interplay of characters with a downplay in the role of technology.  Character development and interaction then becomes the driving point, with logical dialogue and true-to-backstory situations.  I love creating and developing new characters and placing them into such interactive roles, which segues nicely with Space Opera.

What’s the hardest part about writing Space Opera? …your favorite?

Hardest thing is keeping the scope manageable and not letting it get away from me.  Favorite thing is creating new races and backstories.  I love world building.  =)

You’re stuck on a spaceship, not sure where you’re headed; what’s in your backpack?

Hmm, good question.  I'd say a point-to-point transporter a la Star Trek, an air supply, some instant rations, water and a damn good book.  Oh, and a towel, of course.  =)