6: Haden

Haden awoke with a sharp pain in his beak. White light blinded him when he opened his eyes. He was in a hospital. He knew that now because of the singing machines beside him. Their beeping quicken as he attempted to push himself up to a seating position. He was too weak to even move his arms. A nurse walked in holding a clip board and wearing shaggy blue scrubs.

"Hello, Mr. Smith. I see you're awake." she said.

"Wh-Where am I?" Haden asked.

"You've been admitted to the hospital wing at the Center Region Maximum Security Prison."

No, He thought, I was caught. I was running for seven years. And in one slip I was caught."

"Why can't I move?" He said allowed.

"You have taken quite the fall. An explosion fractured your fourth fifth and sixth vertebrae and severed your spinal cord. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think you'll ever be able to walk again."

"Why? I know for a fact that the technology to heal these injuries!"

"Well, that is true. But it's difficult with your...condition."

"Try anything. I must walk again." he said.

"I'm sorry. We don't have the budget nor the time to help you. It doesn't really matter though, you are serving life. I'm sorry. That was very insensitive of me." Said the nurse.

Haden looked down.

"It's fine."