The Funeral

Elizabeth's POV
The voyage home was easy. No monsters, we were never short on food. I believe it was protected by Aslan, or my family, my friends; maybe all three.

Caspian's funeral is today. Well, the private one, designated for us, his family. The kingdom had a funeral while I was gone, but we decided to schedule another for our family to be there.

"Mommy? Why I gotta where a tie?" Theo asks with a pout, pulling at the tie.

"Because this is a...this is your uncle's funeral." I said, stronger than I expected to be. "People wear ties to special stuff like this."

"That's not myyyyy fault." He whines, and I laugh.

"Ok, how about we just wear it when we arrive. You don't have to put it on until then, ok baby?" I suggest and he eagerly nods.

"Please stay still." Eustace begs a wiggly Scarlettt as I pass by the nursery.

There weren't any black baby clothes, they're all happy bright colors; nobody expects babies to go through sad stuff in their life like funerals. Anyway, Eustace put one of Titania's dresses on her, and is trying to pin it without hurting her.

"Ellie! When do we need to leave for the funeral?" Lucy asks, sitting on my rocking chair.

"I was thinking twenty minutes, why?" I ask.

"I think I can get Scarlett in one of Titania's dresses, but it might take a bit." She explains.

"Well, we are the only ones going, and I don't believe any of my kids have had breakfast yet, so I'll make cinnamon rolls, you put Titania's dress on the baby, and we'll work from there." I decide.

"Ok. Here, let me see her." She says to her cousin, gesturing for him to give her the baby.

I go downstairs with the intention of making breakfast.

"Marku? You're cooking?" I say with a raised eyebrow and smirk, noticing my husband opening the oven.

"No, I'm cooking. He's assisting." Astrid pipes up.

"Ok, good." I chuckle.

"Your faith in me is soooo reassuring." Marku smiles, kissing me.

"You know what? There's plenty of perfectly good rooms for y'all to do that in." Rosie says sassily from the windowsill.

"I love you too Rosie." I smile.

Finally, we were all ready. We get into carriages: the Pevensies and Eustace in one, my family in another, Trumpkin, Dr. Cornelius, and Rosie in the last one.

"You ready?" Marku asks softly.

"I'll have to be." I answer, my voice stronger than I expected it to be.

We arrive, and I thought I was prepared. I wasn't. I saw my brother as a stone statue, and broke down. I loved him so much.

Obituary after obituary dragged the funeral out. Minutes felt like hours, hours like days; looking at the statue drove me crazy. The time comes for Elizabeth to give her speech.

"I....I tried. I worked so hard to come up with a really good, moving speech. Caspian was always the better speaker. Even when he could barely say a school assigned speech in front of our class. I wouldn't even go up there." Elizabeth admits with a light chuckle. "So, um....I've decided I'll give a private one. Just Caspian and I, as if he was still here, alive. Not a speech or an obituary, just a nice talk with my best friend." Elizabeth announces, sitting back down by Marku.

Elizabeth's speech was supposed to be the last one, but obviously her plans had changed. So now, people were loading into their carriages, on their way back to the castle, except for Elizabeth.

Author's POV
"Uh...hi. It's Ellie. Obviously, you know that." Elizabeth chuckles awkwardly. In Aslan's country, Caspian laughs as he wipes his eyes, which were triggered into tears by all the heartfelt speeches. "So um, my hair's growing back. From where the slave trader yanked the clump out."

"That's good." Caspian says, even though he knows she can't hear him. Elizabeth flips over the locks of chocolate brown hair that covers the growing tuft that's sticking out.

"How's Aslan's Country?" Elizabeth asks, trying to make it more like a conversation to ease her aching heart.

"Good. Mother and father are here. So's Reep and Jaforn." Caspian replies.

"I'm assuming it's good. I can't hear you, but...you deserve a good place to rest." Elizabeth chokes out.

"Thank you." Caspian says, crying again as Elizabeth hugs the statue. Both siblings start sobbing. Then she wipes her eyes, and leaves.