Chapter 2

Dawnpaw woke to feel her body aching all over. She felt a stinging on her right side and looked to see that there was a poultice on her flank. She let her head fall back onto the moss bed and she closed her eyes. I'm so tired. She then remembered one important thing. "Blackfoot!" She yowled sadly as she got to her paws, now full of enregy. "Dawnaw, Dawnpaw. It's ok. Lay down. Go back to sleep." Feathermist, the medicine cat and Flamepaw's mentor, said as she rushed over to the hysterical apprentice. "No. I was so close. I could've helped him. I could've. I could've... but I couldn't. It's my fault!" Dawnpaw wailed as she collapsed once more.

********

Dawnpaw woke to the sound of hushed voices. She didn't know what time it was. Didn't know how long she was out for. But she didn't care. Dawnpaw couldn't save her best friend and it was her fault. "She thinks it's her fault. There just happened to be badgers in the camp and he just happened to..." Dawnpaw heard Feathermist's soft and grief ridden voice speaking to another at. "I know." Another she cat's voice filled the air softly and Dawnpaw recognized it as her mother's, Willowheart. She heard one of the cats approach her and she closed her eyes but listened in. "Oh Dawnpaw. If I could take your guilt away, I would." Willowheart said as she gently put her nose to the back of her daughter's head. "How is Flamepaw doing?" Willowheart asked.

"I don't know. It's the first attack of Flamepaw being a medicine cat apprentice and losing so many cats, especially one that's a good friend, can be hard. She seemed distant and upset but I gave her some poppy seeds to help her sleep." Feathermist said. Dawnpaw didn't want to hear anymore so she went back to sleep.

********

Dawnpaw woke to a prodding on her shoulder. She grumbled as she rolled over to see Tigerpaw standing over her with fresh kill in his jaws. He put the prey down and smiled sadly. "Hey sleepyhead. How are you doing?" He said softly. "How do you think I'm doing?" She snapped with an eye roll. "Eat and come out. There's a burial ceremony going on." Tigerpaw said and flung a mouse to her and walked out of the medicine cat den. Dawnpaw sighed and ate, then got to her paws with a wince and padded out and sat beside Tigerpaw. Seeing Blackfoot's body laying there... it made her burst into tears once more.

Tigerpaw wrapped his tail around her in a comforting gesture and Dawnpaw buried her face in his chest. Leafstar padded out and sat beside Blackfoot's body. "We have lost a kind and well known cat yesterday. Blackfoot was forgiving and loving to all and every cat. He got along well with every cat at gatherings and we will miss his free spirited nature. May StarClan light your way, Blackfoot." The dappled leader said sadly as she rested her nose to his flank in a sign of respect.

Dawnpaw timidly walked up to his body and laid down and rested her head on the back of his neck. Mistyheart joined and laid down beside Dawnpaw and licked the back of his head. "We never got to be mates but I'm glad I get to bare his kits." The light gray and blue she cat said with a small, sad smile and looked down at her stomach, which Dawnpaw noticed was bulging with kits. Dawnpaw smiled and purred but then remembered he would never be there to see his kits. "Don't worry, he's watching us right now from StarClan." Mistyheart said with a sad smile. "He would be proud." Dawnpaw said with a small smile as she licked her best friend's pelt, one last time to share tongues with him.