Chapter 10

Four moons have passed since Tigerstorm and Dawnflower became mates. It was midday and Leafstar jumped on the Highrcok and called for a meeting. They joined and saw three kits standing beneath it. Mistyheart's kits. Dawnflower smiled wide at the sight of Blackkit standing up there. I wonder if that's how Blackfoot looked at his son's age. "We have three kits who are ready for their next stage of life. Jadekit shows skill of stealth, so Sandheart will be her mentor. Teach her the ways of a faithful warrior's life, Sandheart." Leafstar said and they touched noses. "Tigerstorm, you are ready for your first apprentice. Teach young Rainkit the rights and wrongs of the world." She said and they touched noses. Dawnflower felt pride for her mate.

"It is time for your first aprentice too, Dawnflower, and with the attributes that his father passed on to you, do the same and pass down his knowledge. Blackfoot would be proud." Leafstar said and Dawnflower smiled wide and nodded in thanks and touched noses with an eager Blackkit, now paw. "From this day forward, until they have recieved their warrior names, Jadekit, Rainkit, and Blackkit will be known as Jadepaw, Rainpaw, and Blackpaw." Leafstar said and the clan cheered their names.

"Can we train?" Blackpaw asked excitedly as he bounced around. She chuckled and followed him wither her eyes as he did circledaround him. "Not today, we're going to explore the territory instead." She said with a smile and he stopped in front of her. "Ok." He said with a smile. "Can Rainpaw and Jadepaw join us?" He asked hopefully, his green eyes bright and energetic. "I'll ask." Dawnpaw said and she asked Tigerstorm if they can go together. He obviously agreed and so she asked Sandheart. "No offense, but I prefer my apprentices to learn one on one versus with their siblings. It distracts them." She said with an apologetic smile. "No problem." The orange and white warrior said and padded back to the three other cats.

"Just Rainpaw today." She said and he nodded. The two apprentices bounded to the entrance but waited for the two warriors. When they caught up with them, the two apprentices ran out of camp, chasing each other. The two warriors pickd up their pace to catch up with the two apprentices. An icy wind whipped through and ruffled Dawnflower's fur. She shivered and Tigerstorm pressed himself closer to her. She looked up at him and smiled. The icy winds didn't seem to phase the apprentices, they were too excited.

"Come back here, don't go too far. Stick with us." Dawnflower called and they picked their heads up and slid as they ran towards them. "Aren't you two cold?" She asked with a laugh. "We are, but we're too excited to think about it." Rainpaw said with a smile as she shook a clump of snow off of her paw. "Ok. But stick around us from now on." Tigerstorm said and they nodded.

********

"See if you can smell anything." Dawnflower said as they were on top of a hill, overlooking ShadowClan territory. "I smell gross stuff." Blackpaw said with laugh and Dawnflower smiled. "That's what ShadowClan smells like." She said and he scrunched his nose up in disgust. "Me too." She admitted and padded down the hill to meet Tigerstorm and Rainpaw, who was also smelling the scent of ShadowClan. "We should show them WindClan next. It's on the way to Fourtrees and RiverClan." Dawnflower said and Tigerstorm nodded.

At the end of their exploration of the territory, Blackpaw and Rainpaw were sent to relax for the last few hours of daylight left. Dawnflower and Tigerstorm padded to the fresh kill pile and since it was leaf bare, they decided to share a rabbit and leave the rest for the others in the clan. "I can't wait until we have our own kits." Dawnflower said as she admired the three apprentices, fighting over a mouse and chasing each other.

"Me too. And they'll be perfect." Tigerstorm said with a purr and licked behind her ear. She purred as well and they finished eating and they retreated to the warriors den to sleep.