Chapter 13

A moon has passed and Brackenheart had taken Blackpaw as his apprentice a quarter moon ago, when training Blackpaw herself had become too much of a struggle. She was now laying in the nursery and gazing down at her bulging belly with a loving smile on her face. She would be due any day now and she couldn't wait, partly because she could waddle around camp and partly because she was in growing ain with each passing day that her kits aren't born and because she wants to see her beloved kits.

It was sunset and Tigerstorm had returned from training Rainpaw. He had fresh kill in his jaws and she purred and lit up as he entered the nursery. She was the only one in there for now and she often became lonely when no one was around. He set the mosue by her paws and she ate quickly and hungrily. She was always hungry due to the kits. "I wonder how many there are." Tigerstorm said as he laid down in front of her so he was facing her. "I'm guessing three or four or even five with the way you're eating." He said with a laugh. "I think five." She said, remembering her dream that she had had many moons ago.

He nodded with a smile and ate his sparrow. Once Dawnflower was done, she yawned. "You should go to sleep." Tigerstorm advised and she nodded and rested her head on her paws. Tigerstorm walked behind her and laid down and rested his head on the crook of her neck. He slept with her at night so she wasn't lonely.

********

A pained yowl ripped through the air. Dawnflower's eyes snapped open as another wave of pan flodded through her body. Tigerstorm jumped and screamed and then took one glance at Dawnflower and raced to the medicine cat den. Flamepelt bounded in, armed with borage leaves and sticks. Feathermist was getting old and she couldn't work as well as Flamepelt did. "Get these kits out!" Dawnflower exclaimed in pain and she yowled once more in pain. Mistyheart and Blackpaw came running in. Blackpaw stood on the sidelines as Dawnflower did at his birth. Mistyheart laid down in front of the orange and white queen and tried her best to calm her down.

********

After almost an hour of pain, the first kit had just been delivered. "Nip the sac, Tigerstorm." Flamepelt ordered and he did and a brown swirled tabby revealed itself. "Give him to Dawnflower." She said quickly and he nodded. He gave the kit to it's mother and she eagerly licked at the kit, getting him to breathe. But as she did so, another kit unexpectedly came out as well. Flamepelt gasped and nipped the sac and licked the kit furiously to get it to breathe. "This one is a male." Tigerstorm said and he went back to get the other kit, who turned out to be a female brown tabby with a white muzzle and two white front paws.

A few minutes of no signs of pain or anymore kits had passed and Dawnflower gazed down at her two kits. "They're beautiful." She said softly and everyone agreed. "What should we name them?" She asked as she looked up at Tigerstorm. "Well, I was kind of hoping to name one Bramblekit." He said. "Ok. Bramblekit for this one and I think Brookkit for the female would suit her." Dawnflower said and she rested her head. "Don't go to sleep, Dawnflower. Keep your head up. You still have more kits." Flamepelt warned and Dawnflower snapped her head up. As if on cue, another wave of pain greeted her.

Another brown tabby was born and it was brought to it's mother. "It's a male." Tigerstorm announced and Flamepelt nodded. "I think Hawkkit would be good for him." Dawnflower said once she caught her breath and Tigerstorm nodded. Another moment later and another kit was born. This one was an all brown female with one white paw, her front left one. "What about Otterkit? Since she's brown." Mistyheart suggested and Dawnflower nodded. "Otterkit it is." She said and licked her kit's head.

Not even ten minutes went by and another kit came wailing out. "Another female." Flamepelt called. This kit was like her mother; light orange patches and white fur. Once Dawnflower caught her breath, she announced the name. "Honeykit." She said with a smile. They suckled and Dawnflower licked them lovingly.

"Queens normally don't go an hour without giving birth to another kit unless they're done. How's your pain, Dawnflower?" Flamepelt asked and she looked much better than she did when she first gave birth. "Subsiding." "Then I'd say you're good. Congratulations." She said and padded to the medicine cat den to put back her supplies and then returned a moment later. Flamepelt squeezed in between the cats and looked at her nieces and nephews. She eyed them longingly but smiled anyway. "As much as we all want to look at these tiny kits, we should let the mother rest. She needs it." Flamepelt said and the cats retreated to their dens after saying congratulatons to the happy couple. Tigerstorm, however, stayed put with his mate.

She yawned and Tigerstorm padded behind her and rested his chin on her neck and they fell fast asleep.