Chapter 3

Two moons had passed since Blackfoot's death. She had managed to forget about the incident for one full day when Tigerpaw took her out of camp for the day. Now, they were returning from their day out and Dawnpaw laughed as she entered the camp. Willowpelt, her mother, was talking to Feathermist, the medicine cat, and they were laughing. Willowpelt noticed that Dawnpaw had returned and she padded to her daughter. "There's a gathering tonight. Leafstar should be announcing who will go soon." The black she cat with white paws, muzzle, and tailtip, said with a smile. "Cool. I wond-" Dawnpaw started but was cut off by Leafstar's yowl.

"There is a gathering tonight. I would like my deputy Whitestorm, Ravenwing, Birdsong, Tigerpaw, and Dawnpaw to join me tonight." Leafstar said and jumped off the Highrock and padded to the entrance of camp, waiting for the other cats to join. The two apprentices shared a happy smile and then began to pad over to Leafstar. It wasn't their first gathering. They had went once before with Blackfoot when Dawnpaw was 9 moons. She was now 12 moons. A pained yowl filled the air and it came from the nursery. "Mistyheart!" Dawnpaw exclaimed as she stopped in her tracks and bounded to Leafstar. "I can't go. I'm not missing the birth of Blakfoot's kits." Dawnpaw said quicly as she bounded to the nursery, not caring to hear if Leafstar has any complaints or if Tigerpaw was following or not. Her only concern was Mistyheart and the kits.

"Nightclaw, Jaysong, with me!" Dawnpaw heard Leafstar yowl before ducking into the warm, milk scented nursery. Feathermist and Flamepaw were already there, soothing the blue, fluffy she cat. She felt a presence behind her and realized it was Tigerpaw. Dawnpaw slowly padded in and sat on the far side of the nursery facing the busy cats but equally out of the way.

********

After what felt like an eternity, the first kit came out. It was an identical copy of it's mother and they determined it was a female. "Now that she's out, the others will come quickly, with at least 10 minute intervals." Feathermist said as she had Mistyheart chew on herbs that Dawnpaw couldn't name, but it looked like borage leaves. From what Flamepaw had told her, it was for times like these. Ten minutes had gone by and soon the next kit had come out. It was a black and white male... just like Blackfoot.

Dawnpaw started hyperventilating and she bursted out of the nursery and sat outside the nursery in the chilly air as she took deep breathes. Tigerpaw soon joined her and licked her cheek in a comforting gesture. "He should be here. He should be here to see his kits be born. But he's not and it's all my fault." She said as she sobbed. Tigerpaw hushed and cooed, trying to calm her down. "Hey, hey. It's not your fault, ok?" He said softly as he licked her. She couldn't say anything, she could only cry and hyperventilate.

What felt like an hour but probably was only a few minutes, she had finally calmed down and was starting to fall asleep on Tigerpaw's shoulder. "I'll take you to the apprentice's den." He said and helped her up. "No. I want to be there for Mistyheart." She protested and padded back into the nursery. She padded in and Mistyheart was resting her head and Feathermist and Flamepaw were still there, watching over her. Dawnpaw noticed that there was another kit suckling, like her siblings. A blue and white one. She found it amazing that one looked like her mother, one like his father, and one like the both of them combined, into one amazing female.

Mistyheart picked up her head and smiled weakly at them. Dawnpaw gave a small smile and padded slowly over to her. She crouched down and smiled at the tiny kits. "What are their names?" She asked with a smile. "Well, the gray one is Rainkit, the black and white one is..." Mistyheart choked out. It hurt her to introduce her kits to everyone except their father. "It's ok." Dawnpaw said with a small smile as she reached over and placed her paw gently on Mistyheart's.

The blue she cat smiled sadly and continued on, more confident this time. "His name is Blackkit, in memory of his father." She said with a smile and as if he heard, Blackkit squealed. "And the one that looks like a combination of us is Jadekit. She opened her eyes for a split second and I saw bright green eyes that reminded me of jade." Mistyheart explained with a proud smile. Dawnpaw smiled and looked at them lovingly. "Maybe I can mentor one of them one day." Dawnpaw said with a smile as she looked Mistyheart. "Of course. I want you to mentor Blackkit." Mistyheart said with a smile and Dawnpaw started crying again. "Aww, don't cry dear. He's always here with us. I know that somewhere in StarClan, he's watching us right now and proud of his kits." Mistyheart whispered as they embraced.