Origin Story

The most important place to start, in any story, is the beginning. The 'Origin' story. You can't expect to write a good story with mythological characters, when you don't even know where they came from. 

The Werewolf origin story is vast, every culture seems to have had their own spin on it. So if I don't cover something in this one, that you know about but would like to know more about, then leave me a comment!

Werewolves are an ancient species, but they weren't always the hybrid man wolf we know and love today. It is important when writing a werewolf story, that you know where the original myths and legends came from, any lore that surrounds it and if there are any details you might want to include in your own- it can add an authenticity and depth that you may not be able to achieve otherwise.

 An Old English word- werewolf "man-wolf" the French loup-garou or the ancient Greek word-lycanthrope  "wolf-person" is a or human with the ability to turn into a wolklike creatures. There have been many reasons why this may be the case. A bite or scratch of another werewolf is the most common reason. Genetics- packs and families passing down the werewolf gene, was not common at all! (We will be covering these in more detail in a later chapter)

 Genetics- packs and families passing down the werewolf gene, was not common at all! (We will be covering these in more detail in a later chapter)

The werewolf is a widespread belief in many folklore's throughout Europe from as early as the middle ages. Though their origin can be traced back even further, with references from Iron Age Europe, especially Germanic Paganism. Transformations of "men into wolves" in pagan cult lore were quickly associated with the devil when it came to early medieval beliefs. 

There are even references to werewolves in folklore as early as Norse Mythology! Though this refers to a man 'in wolf skin' and the adoption of a wolfs nature rather than actual shape shifting. 

Like the witchcraft trials as a whole, the trial of supposed werewolves emerged in the early 15th century and spread throughout Europe in the 16th, peaking in the 17th and subsiding by the 18th century

The persecution of werewolves and the associated folklore is an integral- though small- part of the "witch-hunt" that occurred through history. People would not just be charged with being a werewolf, but also of wolf-riding and wolf-charming. 

After the end of the witch-trials, the werewolf developed into its own genre, and throughout the 18th century it was classed as a 'semi-fictional' tradition. It was a major player in the horror genre that came out of the 20th century- which has become part of the fantasy werewolf genre we know and love today! 

Werewolves aren't just a European lore though! In Asian Cultures, the "were" equivalent is a weretiger or wereleopard, and common Turkic folklore holds a different view to the werewolf legends. Turkic Central Asian shamans, after performing long and arduous rites would voluntarily be able to transform into the humanoid "Kurtadam" (literally meaning Wolfman). Since the wolf was the totemic ancestor animal of the Turkic peoples, they would be respectful of any shaman who was in such a form. 

(A weretiger) 

(A weretiger) 

This is just the beginning of what was a varied and interesting history! Even in the 1960's Lycanthropy has tried to be explained by more modern medical conditions, with papers being written on the subject. It is a developing genre, that has magic and mystery surrounding it. A great starting point for anyone who loves fantasy and myths and legends. 

Further chapters will involve what characteristics a werewolf had throughout history, how someone might have become a werewolf, as well as remedies that people thought would help 'cure' those afflicted- so stay tuned!