Creating Magical Creatures

Werewolves aren't the only creatures that can be magical! (Though of course, they are the best.) Magical creatures can come from myths and legends, or from your very own imagination... Evolve your story by adding other supernatural creatures. 

So... how do you create a magical creature?

First you must think about what It is you need from them. JK Rowling's Harry Potter, and especially her latest Fantastic Beasts movie, is the perfect example of doing it right.

  JK Rowling's Harry Potter, and especially her latest Fantastic Beasts movie, is the perfect example of doing it right

Creating a magical creature for the sake of it, is pointless. Just like any character you create, it must serve to support or further the plot. There are two types of creatures you should think about.

The first is the hero's creature/s...

Does your hero need to befriend a creature big enough to be able to come to their rescue later in the plot?

Is one of your characters mortally wounded and the only way for them to survive is to consume the essence of a creature?

The second is the world's creatures...

Like the animals is our world, there will be animals in theirs. Are they different? If so, how? Are they dangerous to people, do they cause havoc in cites? Or are they distractingly beautiful that they stop people in their tracks?

Look to pre-existing magical creatures to base yours on, for example, Dragons are always great in fantasy stories, but how can you make it different to include in yours? Does it have feathers instead of scales, can it talk? How big is it?

Myths and Legends from cultures across the world have provided modern day fantasy writers with abundant creatures to include in their stories, from the Phoenix to the Centaur to the Ibong Adarna (a bird that changes colour every time it finishes a song), They are a great place to start.

You could always put two creatures together to form your own, new, magical creature. There are no rules when it comes to their creation! 

What is your magical creature?