Chapter 8

Snap! The butterfly flew away at the sound of the shutter. Eunji sat in the grass and looked at the Polaroid until the picture showed up. A beautiful blue and orange butterfly was shown on the picture, sitting on a flower. Ryan walked up behind her and looked down at the photo.

"Limenitis arthemis." Eunji said holding the photo up to Ryan.

"What?" he questioned, taking the photo from her. "I don't understand your nerd talk."

"It's called a Red Spotted Purple. Stupid name, really. I prefer the scientific name." Eunji took the picture back from Ryan. He took the pink Polaroid out of her hand and pointed it to her. Eunji posed and he took the picture. He let the picture develop and looked at it. The picture showed her sitting in the grass, her legs crossed. She held her head in her hands and grinned, showing off her dimples. Her eyes were squinted, almost closed. The curls of her hair sat on her bare shoulders, and her new bangs hung right above her eyebrows. The sleeves of her lilac sweater hung down over her hands. Ryan looked up from the photo and smiled at her, the smell of flowers lingered in the fresh spring air.

"Cute." he said, handing the camera back to Eunji. "Take my picture now." She aimed the camera up as Ryan attempted to do a cool guy pose. Eunji handed the photo to him, laughing.

"You look like you should be on a hip-hop album cover!" she said. Ryan gazed at the photo. His brown hair stuck out of his black yankees snap back. His arms were crossed as he looked down at the camera.

"I got swag, B." Eunji punched him.

"Never say that again." She got up from the grass and they continued to take pictures.

Jin took a picture of the blue butterfly that sat in front of him. It flapped its wings, slowly, revealing the orange dots underneath. He remembered a conversation that Eunji and him had on their date. They were talking about different types of butterflies and her favorite ones.

"Limenitis arthemis." he mumbled.

"What?" Jungkook asked. The butterfly flew off into the spring air.

"The name of the butterfly." Jin said, standing and facing his younger peer. They were currently in London. It had been over a year since he left Eunji behind in New York. He looked at the now developed picture in his hand. He could see why Eunji thought the butterfly was so beautiful. "Smile!" Jin said turning to Jungkook to take a photo. He quickly tossed up a peace sign and flashed a smile. Jin fiddled with his now brown hair, waiting for it to develop.

"So, Jin." Jin looked up at Jungkook. "Ready to go back to America?" He sat down next to him in the grass, crossing his legs. He propped his head on his hand and waited for a response.

"Uh... yes." Jin said and looked away. He hopped he didn't have to go back to New York. He wanted to go anywhere but there.

"Where in U.S.?" he asked.

"Um, I think, L.A., D.C., Vegas?" he said in deep thought.

"We should go to casino!" Jin said excitedly.

"Yes!" Jungkook jumped up. "Oh! And New York!" Jin's smile disappeared. Instead of being excited to waste all of his money, in hopes of gaining more, he was struck with fear. What were the chances of seeing Eunji again? Considering that she sang on the streets, they were high. He didn't know what he would say to her. Would she still be mad? It had been too long. He could always avoid her. He continued to take more pictures.

"And... Done!" Eunji said as she stuck the last picture to the bulletin board hung in her room. It was covered in photos through the year. Ryan stood behind her, looking at the way the pictures were arranged. Each season started with a nature shot and then the rest of the pictures were events, selfies, and then pictures from her travels. She gazed down at the box of photos from the years before. She picked it up and walked over to her bed. She poured out the contents of the box and scattered the photos. Winter; that was when Eunji had met him. The snow was falling when she had fallen in love with his eyes. She fell in love with Kim Seokjin the day they shared the streets as a stage and sang the night away. The night of the date, the waiter took a picture of her and the whole group together. Eunji put the photos away and covered herself in her blanket.

"Do you still think of him?" Ryan asked as he laid next to her. She scooted closer to him and closed her eyes.

"No. Of course not." she said.

"Good. Now have sweet dreams tonight. I can't keep staying in here with you. It's getting weird." she nodded softly and drifted off to sleep.

Jin looked at the photo he took of Eunji on their date night. Her smile seemed to glow in the cold winter landscape. He looked at the second photo. She stood, back facing him. A street lamp illuminated the space around her. He sighed and put the photos back in their case.

"You think of her?" Yoongi asked as he stood in the doorframe across from him.

"No." Jin mumbled, sadly. Yoongi sat next to him and pat his head.

"There there." he said. Jin smiled at him and Yoongi smiled back. They stayed quiet the rest of the night. The best comfort for Jin at the moment was just not speaking of it. He had tried for over a year to get her out of his mind, but he couldn't. She was stuck there. He hadn't known her well, but he felt as if he were in love.  Everyone would tell him that she wasn't the one. They didn't even speak the same language, but he knew that she was meant for him and that he was meant for her.