Chapter 9

Jin looked up at the lights of Time Square. It was beautiful. The advertisements lit up on the towers.

"Look!" Hoseok pointed up at one of the  screens. "It's us!" Jin looked up, and sure enough their faces were there. Everyones smiles were so bright. At that moment, he heard a familiar voice.

"I hate the sound of all these songs 'bout you..." He started to walk closer to the music. He didn't want to see her. He didn't want to talk to her, but he needed to know if she was still mad. "When I needed you the most, I needed you..." He could see her. Eunji strummed her guitar just like the day they met. "Now I won't be there to give you what you need." He stepped up to her and looked down at her guitar case. There was nothing there. He gazed back up at her. Her eyes were closed as she sang. She was lost in the music. Everything around her seemed to be a blur. He looked at her as she sang. She wore a blue skirt with white polkadots. A pink belt hugged her waist. She had a loose white t-shirt tucked into the skirt. Pink heels lifted her up. He threw $10 in her guitar case and turned to walk away, but stopped. "Oh. Thanks!" He cringed, at the sound of her voice. He should have left sooner. He turned around and flashed a smile.

"You're welcome." he muttered through his smiling teeth. He turned around and looked at her. She was already looking back down at her guitar.

"You didn't have to give me so much, but because you did, do you have a request?" she said picking at her guitar strings.

"Yeah." he thought for a second. "How about we sing Butterfly again?" Eunji snapped her head up, her mouth agape.

"Jin..." she whispered. "Y-you changed your hair." She put her guitar down. "It's black." He nodded.

"It was brown yesterday. Oh! You too." He waved his hand over his forehead. "Bangs." he said, laughing nervously.

"Yeah. Yeah. Bangs." She paused and looked around. "Big plans today?"

"Practice and interview." They avoided eye contact, as the silence grew longer. "Uh."

"Um..." they spoke, trying to break the silence. "Are you still up for that song?" Jin looked back at her and smiled.

"Yeah. I am." She handed him the guitar and just like the night they met, they sang together. Taehyung walked up to them and smiled. Jin looked truly happy again.

"Hi." he said waving to them. Eunji looked over at Tae and waved back.

"Hey, Taehyung. Long time no see." she giggled. He smiled his rectangular smile back at her as her messed with his shaggy, golden hair.

"H-hi." he muttered again. 

"Excuse me!" Jimin ran up to the group of three, the rest of the crowd following close behind. He brushed his now blonde hair out of his face and gave a small bow. "Hello, Eunji!" The group continued their conversations, mostly about the sudden changes in hair and how they may change it again.

"Was thinking maybe blue?" Jungkook said, looking up at his light brown hair. Eunji nodded slightly.

"Maybe, but I'm not used to you with colored hair. Change can be good though." She said with a smile.

"Yes. Um, darker brown?" He tilted his head slightly.

"That's more like the Kookie I know." Eunji directed her attention to Jin, who had tapped on her shoulder.

"Um, Eunji?" he mumbled.

"What is it?" She raised a brow.

"The way we left things... I am sorry still. I want to make it up to you. Start again, maybe? I want to redo date, same place, but just us." Eunji was baffled. She didn't want to start again.  She had to force herself to talk to him.

"How do I know you're really sorry? How do I know you won't do it again?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Because," he started, "it has been a year of trying for your forgiveness." she tensed up at the realization of actually how long it had been. He must have felt something real if he was trying for all of this time. "You are always on my mind. For the year, all I could think about was you. You make me nervous. I feel that I must impress you. I always want to talk to you. I know it is soon. It is very soon but," he paused and took a shaky breath. "I think I love you." Eunji didn't know what to say. All she could do was stare. At this point all the other members had left to let them talk in private. Eunji looked past Jin and to the group. They were all talking freely, as Hobi looked over to them, a small hint of loneliness in his eyes.  She looked back to Jin, who had tears in his. "I am so embarrassed. I should not have said what I did." He started to walk away, when Eunji grabbed his arm.

"Wait!" she said. Jin turned over to her, eyes filled with hope. "One more date." she said, letting go of his arm. "Make it a good one." Jin pulled her into a hug and smiled.

"Yes!" he exclaimed. "Same time and place as before?"

"Nine o'clock, Friday and the Garden Cafe? Sounds like a good deal. Meet me at the old stop?" Jin nodded remembering the little food cart area she used to perform at.

"Perfect." he said letting go of her hands. "I will see you then, my love." he said, melting Eunji's heart. They smiled at each other and he turned away to leave and she continued to perform.

"Hey, Jin!" she called out. He turned and looked at her. "Do you still have my number?" Jin shook his head sadly. "It's okay!" She said. "I never deleted yours!"