Chapter Six

If you need me, I'll be where my reputation don't precede me
Maybe I'm addicted to goodbyes

-------------------

The blaring sound of Emma's alarm startled her out of her deep slumber. She groaned and rolled over to dismiss the alarm, knowing the snooze button wasn't necessary today. She rolled back to face the other side of the bed where Regina fell asleep beside her and jolted up when all she saw was an empty bed.

"Regina?" Emma called out, but only heard her voice echo through her apartment.

She instinctively reached out, placing her hand on the mattress in the spot she vividly remembered Regina being in last night. She rubbed her fingers over the spot, pulling the sheets up into a fist and for a moment, she wondered if it was all a dream.

A pit formed in her stomach and she pulled her legs up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them, the familiar feeling of loneliness overwhelming her again.

She sighed and got out of bed, dragging her feet behind her to the kitchen. As soon as she saw the coffee pot, she exhaled. The pot was already full and there was a note next to the freshly brewed coffee. Emma picked it up and smiled.

Sorry I had to sneak out so early to get to my meeting, consider it payback ;) I brewed the coffee for you since I'm assuming you're not a morning person and would appreciate it. Here's my number in case you'd like to see me again:
(212) 555-8365
Xoxo, Regina

Emma's smile quickly fell when she looked at the phone number. This wasn't who she was. She didn't get people's phone numbers. She didn't get involved. She didn't let herself feel. She knew how it would turn out and she couldn't let herself go through that again, and she refused to let Regina suffer either. Being unattached would just be easier for both of them.

She poured the coffee into a mug and took a few sips then threw the note in her nightstand before heading to the bathroom to get ready for work.

-----------------------------------

Regina's meeting was making her antsy. She kept crossing and uncrossing her legs, eager to get up and go see Emma again. She pulled out her phone for the sixth time today to see if she had any new messages. Nothing. She pursed her lips and shoved her phone back in her purse.

Even though she was only in Boston for today's meeting, she already decided she'd stay the night again to be with Emma one more time before heading home. Something about the blonde intrigued her and she couldn't put her finger on it.

She paid little attention to the meeting and let her mind wander as thoughts of Emma continued to consume her. She'd been with plenty of people, but none of them challenged her the way Emma did. She wanted to be a better person for Emma's sake and more importantly, she wanted to prove to Emma that she was worthy of being wanted and loved, despite what she had told Regina at the beach house.

Her meeting ended right on time, although it felt like it took hours longer than it was supposed to. Her stilettos echoed on the marble tile of her hotel lobby's floor as she made her way back to her room. She unlocked the door and dropped her briefcase then checked her phone again. Still nothing.

Regina groaned and shook her head. "What do I have to do to get you to open up to me?"

She kept busy, ordering room service for dinner and watching some TV, but she wasn't able to pay attention. She knew she should be halfway home by now, but a small sliver of hope was keeping her there.

"Maybe I should have asked for her number instead... Or made my note more clear?" Regina whispered to herself, placing all the blame on herself.

'This is ridiculous,' she thought to herself. She should be enjoying a nice night in a new city, not sitting in her hotel room alone waiting for her phone to ring. She touched up her hair and makeup then switched into an outfit that was more suitable for a bar then quickly headed down to the lobby and out the front door.

----------------------------------------------

Emma made her way into her usual bar, excited to grab a drink and have a conversation with her only friend. Although Nick probably only talked to her because it was part of his job as a bartender, it was better than nothing.

"Hey, Nick. Just my regular. And before you ask... no, I am not 'prowling' today," she smiled and air quoted the word prowling, causing him to laugh.

He began working on her drink but kept his eyes on her.

"What? Why are you staring at me?"

"Oh, nothing. It's just... you seem different. I can't place my finger on it. It's a good different, don't worry."

Emma sighed and took the drink from him. "Well, nothing has changed so I don't know what it could be."

He raised an eyebrow and leaned in. "I don't believe you. I bet you know exactly what has changed and you just don't want to tell me."

"What are you — like a part-time therapist now?" Emma snickered and sipped her drink.

"I'm a bartender, Emma. It comes with the job. Drunk people love to spill all their life secrets to bartenders." Nick shrugged before walking off to take more orders.

Emma avoided looking away from her drink, even as a few people tried to approach her. She was not in the mood for any social interaction today and she wasn't even sure why she came to the bar in the first place.

"You look like you're in need of another drink. And a pretty girl like you should definitely not be alone at a bar." A man stated confidently, brushing Emma's hair off her shoulder and leaning in closer.

Emma rolled her eyes and shrugged him off of her, not bothering to turn to look at him. He didn't get the hint and just stepped in closer.

"I'm Jason. And you are?"

"Not interested." Emma said flatly.

"Wow, aren't you sweet? Enjoy your lonely life and your empty glass."

Emma didn't have the energy to throw a comeback in his direction because he was right. She was alone and her drink was empty.

She left a generous tip on the bar for Nick then got up off the bar stool to make her way to the door. When the door came into her line of sight, she froze. There she was. Walking in and making her way toward the bar dressed in a burgundy dress and black stilettos. Emma's heart started racing and they locked eyes for only a moment before Emma ducked then darted toward the door and ran home.