Chapter Eight

Another life, another call
Another bed I shouldn't crawl out of

-----------------

Emma woke up from her recurring dream she'd been having where she approached Regina and she disappeared and left Emma alone. She jolted upright, wiping away a bead of sweat on her forehead using the back of her hand. She looked around and remembered where she was then took in the sight of Regina in bed nuzzled up near her.

Her fight or flight instinct kicked in and she realized her dream was probably a sign that she should leave, but looking down at Regina, seeing the brown hair sprawled messily across the silky pillowcase and the way her chest was rising and falling, was causing Emma to hesitate.

She shook her head and let out a breath then slid back down under the covers and pulled Regina onto her chest and kissed the top of her head before letting her eyes fall shut. Her arms instinctively wrapped around the brunette and rubbed her back gently, feeling a sudden need her keep her safe.

-----------------------

When Emma woke up again hours later, she breathed in the smell of Regina's shampoo before she even opened her eyes. She smiled softly and felt a sense of comfort wash over her as her eyes opened.

Regina was sitting on the side of the bed with wet, freshly washed hair, setting down her mug on the nightstand. "Good morning, nice to see you kept your promise and you're still here," Regina laughed before handing Emma the other mug of coffee she was holding.

Emma smiled and took a sip. "I told you I wasn't running this time."

Regina crawled over Emma and smiled before planting a soft kiss on her lips. The smell of Regina's sweet shampoo mixed with her vanilla body wash was overwhelming in the best way and Emma moaned. "God, you smell good."

She put down the mug Regina gave her and pulled the brunette closer to her, refusing to break their kiss. Regina's tongue glided against her lips, begging for entrance and Emma teased her, gently nibbling on her bottom lip.

Emma's hands began to wander and Regina combed her fingers through Emma's tangled tresses and their kiss turned into a full-blown make out session with Regina straddling Emma on the bed.

Regina pulled away slowly and they locked eyes. She brushed her fingers over Emma's cheek and whispered, "I want to be with you, Emma."

Emma bit her lip and dropped her gaze as she felt her palms begin to sweat. "Why?" was all she could manage to get out. She hopped off the bed and began to pace in circles.

"Why? Because you're everything I could ask for, Emma. You're stubborn but you challenge me. You're tough but I know that it's all an act. You're incredibly attractive and beautiful. You make me feel safe and warm. I'm a pretty confident woman, but with you - with you, you make me nervous. In a way I've never felt before."

"You don't even know me, Regina!" Emma snapped. "I don't do this. I don't get attached or get into relationships. I told you nobody could love me and I'd just screw it all up. Yes, I'll admit that I've never felt this way before, either. You're the only person who has ever made me feel anything. But I don't even know you and you don't know me - I don't even know your full name or what you do for a living! For Christ's sake, Regina. How do you think this could ever work?"

Emma looked at Regina whose chin was trembling as she bit down on her lip and the color drained from her face. Emma tilted her head and softened her tone. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap. I just told you from the start that nobody could love me and I don't see that ever changing."

Regina nodded slowly and pulled her knees to her chest as Emma approached her and sat down on the bed next to her and rested her hand on her shoulder, rubbing her bare skin with the pad of her thumb.

"I wasn't proposing a relationship. I just want to date you and like you said... we don't know each other. But I'd like to get to know you."

Emma felt her hands tingle, knowing deep down that she wanted that, too. "Okay."

Regina's mouth opened to speak and she turned her head to look up at Emma. "Okay?"

"Yes. I have to get back to Boston but I still have your number. When I figure out my work schedule, I'll call you and we can meet again and I'll let you get to know me a little more. I can't promise much more than that, but I do know that I can't get you out of my head and I'd be stupid to not at least give this a try."

Regina nodded as Emma stood up and collected her belongings. She watched her with a small smile and feeling of content on her face. "Mills. My last name is Mills."

"Swan." Emma whispered before she closed the front door and left Regina alone in the room.