JUST KIDS

Opal and Dean were fast asleep by now. I let them sleep. They're kids, I shouldn't have them worry anymore. Such bullshit. I sighed and locked my bedroom.

They're just kids.

They're just going to be 13, yet they have to go through this.

Why? Did I do something wrong for this to happen to me?

No, I shouldn't blame myself. I was a great lover, I did everything for this fucker. He was trash, he even warned me that he wasn't fit for me, but I didn't want to accept that. I turn over and pull the large box from underneath my bed and scramble around to pull out that old ring, that cursed ring that gave me so much damage.

I've had enough of this stupid ass ring. I sit up and rummage around my bedside draw to pull out my lighter. I flick it, the small flame coming out the lighter was a pretty red.

I pick up the ring with tweezers, then bring the ring and lighter together, burning the ring. It may not of done much physical damage to the metal, but it helped me relax seeing that it was receiving some kind of damage. I eventually got bored and threw the lighter and ring onto the floor, the sight of the ring frustrates me so I give it a small kick, sending it across the room and under my dresser.

I'll get it later, I think.

- - -

Bill looked at me emotionlessly as he watched me cry.

"Why?" I cried. I stomped over to him and hit my fists on his hard chest. "What is wrong with you?!"

He didn't say anything. He watched me cry and scream at him, begging for an answer. He grabbed my hands to stop my pitiful hits.

"Sunshine, you wouldn't understand." Is all he says before all of a sudden disappearing in front of me.

He's gone.

But I don't know where he is.

"You coward." I mutter. He may not be here, but I know he's listening. "You hear me?! You're nothing but a coward! I'm so happy you're not going to be in my babies's lives, you hear?!" I want him to hear my angry, feel all my frustration. "I never want to see you again! Leave my babies alone, fucker!"

- - -

I open my eyes and see the sun barely shining through the window. I must've forgotten to close my blinds.

Before I close them, I see something catch my eye.

My children are playing in the front yard with the Pines Twins. I smile. At least their lives haven't totally changed.