Atlantis Riptide -Chapter Eleven A

Chapter Eleven A

Ragin’ Revolt

I wasn’t alone. The thought pounded through my head. My impossible dream had come true. I wasn’t the only one. There were others who could breathe underwater like me. A thrill shot through me like fireworks in the sky, sprinkling across my skin.

“Who are you?” My thoughts sounded light, tentative. The thrilled sprinkles changed into itches of tension and fear. “Why were you watching me?”

“Needed to confirm you’re one of us.” I liked that he didn’t move forward. He seemed less threatening that way. “I’m Finn.”

“How can you breathe underwater?” Maybe I could learn the reason for this ability. Some genetic mutation, a top-secret science experiment gone wrong.

“You’re new here.”

“Y-yes.” I backpedaled, putting more distance between us. Something about him put me on edge. I balanced on my toes, ready to make a break.

“Do I make you nervous?”

I shook my head. A lie.

Finn held both his hands up in a surrender gesture. “Would you be more comfortable talking above?” His gaze shot to the surface.

“Yes.” I wasn’t sure why. I loved being in the water, but I still didn’t have a handle on reading other people’s thoughts. Could they hear everything I thought or only what I wanted them to?

“I’ll meet you on shore.” He kicked his feet and headed toward the beach leaving me to decide whether to follow.

Not that I had a choice. I needed to go back to the campground. And I needed to know more about Finn.

When I reached the shore, Finn sat near where I’d left my clothes. I jogged to my bag, took out my shorts and put them on, not wanting to be so exposed to a stranger. Ridiculous since he already saw me in my swimsuit and said he’d been following me around, possibly for days.

“Why were you following me?”

He appeared to be my age, maybe a bit older. His fit body didn’t show an extra ounce of fat. Solid muscle. He was attractive but for some reason I didn’t react.

Maybe because he wasn’t Chase.

I surveyed the area hoping Chase would appear. Then, mentally kicked myself for the thought. He was going to betray me. I didn’t need or want his help.

Finn stretched his arms, and then leaned back against his elbows in a non-threatening way, almost too casual, like he wanted me to be comfortable around him. “What’s your name?”