Atlantis Riptide - Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

Security Snafu

Later at work as I was changing garbage bags around the Boardwalk, I was paged to one of the rides for an emergency clean-up. The line wound out the front entrance of the log ride and around the building. Chase was feeding rope through stanchions to keep the crowd under control. He waved and my day got a little brighter.

The ride manager showed me the tunnel where the jam occurred. “We’re holding all the logs until we get this fixed so don’t worry about getting splashed.” He pointed out the narrow metal ledge I should walk on.

I entered the tunnel. Multi-colored lights lit the inside. The ride was supposed to be scary but it was brighter than the caverns the Free Atlanteans called home. I edged around the corner, scanning for the spot where the slow-down happened.

Water flowed about three-fourths deep in the blue painted flume. Two metal rails, or tracks, dissected the bottom. Wrapped around one of the rails was a large, black, plastic trash bag. The bag was partially full.

I pinched at the garbage bag with my pick-up tool trying to wrestle it lose. The pincher slipped off the bag and I fell backward. My back scraped against the rock-like tunnel.

Ouch.

Shaking off my pain, I glanced around. No one could see my feeble attempts at unclogging the flume. The tunnel blocked any questioning eyes. I was tired and had too many other tasks to finish before clocking out.

I peered around a second time before sitting on the edge of the ledge. I took off my shoes and then slipped inside the flume.

The flow came to my waist. I placed the net downstream to catch any garbage that came loose. Bending at the knees, I reached down taking hold of the bag and tugged.

The bag ripped.

With my hands I fished out plastic water bottles, an old baseball cap, even a shoe. I grabbed both ends and tossed the bag onto the ledge. That’s when I noticed the metal chain wrapped around one of the glides.

With a slow twist of my head, I again scanned the area. No one could see me. Not the manager, not the people in line, not even Chase below. My shift was almost over and I wanted to go home. I needed a nap. I didn’t need more questions.

Pushing doubt aside, I gripped the metal chain and using my powers yanked with one sharp pull. The chain split in two. I took the pieces and shoved them into the bottom of a new garbage bag. Then, I took the old garbage bag and whatever trash had leaked out and covered the chain. Grabbing my shoes, I dripped my way over to the log ride manager to let him know the job was done.

I made my way to the large dumpster near the side of the office with still dripping clothes. I lifted the heavy lid and let go of the bag. It hit the bottom with a clunk.