Atlantis Riptide - Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

Back To The Beach

Thank God Finn changed his mind because finding my own way would’ve been next to impossible. Stupid me hadn’t paid attention.

After he talked to, or more likely got permission from the captain, Finn blindfolded me again and took me out of the Free Atlantis base camp. When we were far enough away, he removed the blindfold.

I noted the mountains turning into hills, the strange rock formation we swam through, and a huge trench in the ocean floor. This time I paid attention the entire way home.

If I needed to escape to Free Atlantis, I’d know how to find my way to the general vicinity.

What seemed like hours later, we surfaced near the campground beach. I thought Finn would swim away but he walked with me to where the beach ended and the campground began. “Sorry I tried to force you to stay.”

Nodding, but not in agreement, I gripped the straps of my bag. I hoped the large clam the woman gave me was still in one piece.

“I want you to know that I argued for bringing you back here. I know how much you wanted to come home.” Finn took hold of my free hand.

“Really?”

“We take watching out for our kind seriously.”

I examined our connected hands and felt nothing but kindness. I stared into his friendly, brown eyes. “I appreciate that, but I’ve been looking out for myself my entire life.”

Maybe belonging to a group was too restrictive for me. Maybe I was better off alone. But I didn’t believe it. I was concerned they wouldn’t accept me with my differences, even though the differences were fewer compared to air-breathers.

I longed for acceptance and understanding. Wished for a family. I thought I’d found something with Chase. And I’d been wrong.

Confusion collided in my mind. Pain pinched like lobsters nipping at my toes. A crazy daze of befuddlement swirled. I wanted different things from different people and everyone had always disappointed me.

“Just know if you ever need help, I’ll be around.” He dropped my hand, knowing his charm wasn’t working on me.

“Thanks. I should get some sleep.” I didn’t tell him my tent was only a few yards away, and he didn’t ask.

“We don’t like to advertise our existence or our secret location.”

“The blindfold kinda gave that away.” I glanced at the ocean, at the calm way the waves hit the shore. “Are you going all the way back tonight?”

“No. I need to talk to...”

“Talk to who?”

Finn’s gaze glazed over. “You gave me some things to think about. I’m going to follow up on that old princess myth.”

Every girl’s dream would be to discover she was a princess. A smile drifted onto my face at the fanciful thought. Of course, Finn said the other two princesses were probably dead.

My smile flattened. Maybe being a princess wouldn’t be so fun after all.

***

Even though I was exhausted from my overnight-underwater travels, I was up early in the morning. Nervous energy spurred me on. I got dressed for work and jogged to the Boardwalk. It wasn’t excitement about work that had my stomach jumping and my heart aflutter. It was talking to Chase, or trying to talk him out of doing the story. And to be honest, it was about seeing Chase.