Atlantis Riptide - Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

Star Shocker

I didn’t know why I felt a connection to Princess Cordelia. We came from different backgrounds. Our success in running away differed. She’d aligned herself with the Royalist side. Of course, since she was a princess she probably didn’t have a choice.

I shot an accusing glance at Finn. The Royalists called Finn and his people Separatists, not Free Atlanteans. What was the real definition? I knew Finn thought himself a Free Atlantean. The real definition probably depended on your point of view.

And I didn’t have enough facts to make a decision.

“They’re out of sight.” Chase edged further into the hallway to spy on the Princess and her guards. “We should go after her. Help her.”

I liked that Chase wanted to assist someone in need. His heroics warmed me inside.

“Too dangerous for the three of us, especially Pearl.” Finn focused on me with a peculiar expression. “I’ll follow Cordelia and find out what’s going on.”

“Why would we trust you?” I grabbed Finn’s shoulder. I wanted to help the princess, not hurt her. “You’re a Free Atlantean, or Separatist. Whatever the true label is.”

“I know the tunnels.” His fierce expression tried to intimidate. “And I know Princess Cordelia. We played together as kids.”

“You did?” My stance toward Finn softened.

“I’d never hurt her.” His voice caught. His expression softened. Warmth and sorrow lit his pupils.

“How do we know that?” Chase sounded protective like Finn.

“You don’t.” Finn crossed his arms and glared. All the passion in his expression gone.

Chase seemed to consider. “You’re right that three of us can’t follow her. Together we’d be caught.”

“I know the tunnels and the palace. I know the politics. I know Princess Cordelia. I should go and make sure she’s okay.”

Chase nodded and took hold of my hand. “We’re both new to this entire situation and don’t know who the players are. We should let Finn go.”

“I don’t know.” No matter how silly, I felt somehow responsible.

Chase held our entwined hands up and pointed at Finn. “The princess is in her own castle. I’m sure she’s fine. Let Finn check it out and he’ll get back to us. Right, Finn?”

Finn’s slight nod showed he wasn’t paying attention. Worry lines creased his forehead as if trying to figure out how to get to Princess Cordelia. “Can you guys find your own way back?”