The Intergalactic Trading Corporation

At five thousand kilometers long and one hundred kilometers wide, Mordred, the colossal, rotating flagship of the Intergalactic Trading Corporation, was a seemingly invincible engine of destruction that served well to strike fear into enemies and allies alike, looming high in the sky above the planet Novsorx in Nubecula Minor. A much smaller ship docked with one of its ports, and out from it came two adolescent humans with golden-brown skin. Foremost was Susan, who wore an orange dress and yellow stockings with brown calf boots. She kept her long, unnaturally blond hair in pigtails. Following her was her older brother, Devara, who wore his long, brown hair in a bun. He wore blue salwar, complemented by a violet cloth across his chest, while leaving his midriff, arms, and feet bare.

From the port, the two humans took a high-speed train to the bridge, where many different species and genders of loyal servants were at work, responsible for directing work flow, managing assets, coordinating military action, and operating the ship. The bridge was a large, open area, with multiple different stations for the officers to command from, as well as several holographic displays for them to monitor. Leading them all was Seraphim, who stood waiting.

"I hope you come bringing good news," Seraphim said.

"Business has been slow overall but it has been steady." Susan spoke with a distinctive Mumbai accent and a somewhat arrogant tone. "However, as you requested, plans have been set in motion to change that."

"We sent out invitations, and those two you expressed the greatest interest in seem like they will make excellent clients." Devara spoke with a similar accent to his sister, but in a much gentler and more easygoing tone. "We don't know for sure yet, but we gave them a week to decide. I'm not sure why, but I have a good feeling about them."

Susan couldn't help but add a note of skepticism. "The last client you said that about never paid us."

Devara reiterated, "They refused to provide payment to warmongers and disappeared. Sounds good to me."

"Have you forgotten which side you are on?" asked Seraphim.

"Of course not. I know my place, and you can count on me."

"Good. Now, I would like to hear what dear Susan has to say."

"We shall move forward cautiously," Susan said. "I try not to base decisions on feelings, but I will acknowledge that like my brother, I have a good feeling about them. I have no interest in taking significant risks, but from our research into them, they do seem promising. Dalziel O'Shaughnessy was an obvious choice, but what was the reason for the inclusion of the little girl?"

"I had an associate by the name of Giorgio Bocchino who became acquainted with her father," said Seraphim. "Suffice to say they were evil even by my standards, so I fired him. For reasons that I won't divulge, I sensed great potential in Lyra O'Reilly. I had no idea, of course, when I reported her father to the Royal Irish Constabulary, that Dalziel O'Shaughnessy would intercept the report and take action. It just made things easier."

"You really didn't answer my question," Susan commented. "All you did was explain how you discovered her, not what part she'll play."

"I don't care. Your compliance is the only relevant factor, not your understanding. Anything else to report?"

"We submitted your proposal for construction of the galactic headquarters of the Intergalactic Trading Corporation in orbit around Beilufa," Devara replied. "They expressed their concern that it could potentially compromise the planet's neutrality."

"I'm aware," said Seraphim, "but there's no way they'll turn it down."

"This will certainly cause them problems," said Devara. "What makes you so confident?"